Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Regional Discussion Forums > Caribbean & South America

Old 11-07-2008, 05:47 AM
Flyman

TOP Bonefish / Permit Flies - WINTER SOUTHERN BAHAMAS

Back to my question on Southern Bahamas in Jan...

Will be stocking boxes behind the vise over the next month and have a general query...

TOP 5 BONEFISH FLIES?

TOP 2 PERMIT FLIES?

Basically, stranded on a deserted island with nothing but a few Swedish models and a fly rod (which I will be, minus the models) which flies / colors / sizes would you want with you if the girls wanted to see some fish?

Old 11-07-2008, 08:59 AM

Gotchas in tan, pink and white (that order of importance).

Mostly 4's, some 2's and some 6's. Have a few dumbell eye'd patterns too but mosty bead chain (and a couple without or "blind" just in case). Can't go wrong with gotcha patterns.

You tie these you have your bases covered. After that experiment with other patterns as you wish.....lots of patterns are just gotcha variations anyways so that should tell you something.

Never fished for Permit so can't help you there. Most bahamian destinations aren't generally permit destinations anyway, especially in winter. Key word "generally" as there are some reliable pockets here and there.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:22 PM

TOP 5 BONEFISH FLIES?

Big
Small
Light
Heavy
Green
Tan
...and some with weedguards

TOP 2 PERMIT FLIES?

Big Merkin
Small Merkin
Old 11-12-2008, 04:34 PM
Bonecrusher

I'm a believer that the same bonefish flies will work weather you're fishing in the Bahamas or across the globe in the Seychelles. If it looks like something trying to escape, it must be something to eat.

That being said, I like big flies because I want to make sure the fish see them. I also like natural colors: tans, browns, beige, off white, cream, etc.

My favorite all around bonefish flies are mantis shrimp,
Old 11-24-2008, 05:40 PM

For the many skinny white flats of the So Bahamas add to your Gotchas, the Rev. Laing by Skok/Boyle and a couple good tailing flies like the Phleuger HOY by Exuma's Bob Hyde and the Ghost by Victor Trodella. For Permit, it's hard to beat Winston Moore's wool crab or Jan Isley's wool crab and Del Brown's Merkin.

Dick B
Old 11-25-2008, 12:16 AM

I take fewer and fewer flies each time I go to the Bahamas. I would say that five patterns would be more than enough. For example, bonefish in South Andros aren't very picky. I've always used #4 flies and I tend not to weight them with more than bead chain. The following patterns are my favorites:

1. Peterson Spawning Shrimp - This my favorite fly and it works everywhere I go. Guides in the Bahamas, Mexico, and Belize love this fly. I usually end up giving them away so they can copy the pattern. They aren't easy to find. If you're tying your own...Orvis of all places sells them and has the recipe posted, but you can certainly add your own variations. I like their version, but it is tied with chrome eyes that are too heavy IMHO.

2. Ververka's Mantis Shrimp - This is a terrific fly for the Bahamas as it is a pretty accurate imitation of what they eat.

3. Rabbit Hair Gotchas - I like these in white, tan, and chartruese. But I tend to like white the best, with a little pink flash thrown in.

4. Pink Puff - This is a fly I pull out when nothing else is working. I think its more of a stimulator style fly. I like it in #4 and #6.

5.(tie) Bonefish Special - a decent old-fashioned fly tied with little or no weight. Good for tailing fish.

Snapping Shrimp - also a great fly when you need a soft and quiet presentation.

I've never had great luck with permit in the Bahamas. I've seen them, but I've only had luck with them in Belize.

1. Antron Merkin in #4 - This is the only permit fly you need. I caught four permit with this fly on my last trip to Belize.

2. Green Antron Fly #4 - I caught the fifth permit of that trip on this fly.

Those are my favorites.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:15 AM

Gotchas with silly legs, simrams, and bunny bones. I've had great luck with rabbit fur lately and have used it in most pattens.

I've only caught two permit and I used those crab patterns made out if the pads used on furniture legs to protect floors.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:37 PM

I really like the Petterson Spawning Shimp when fishing in deeper water where you may also have a shot at permit. The 2 permit I have caught in the Bahamas were caught on that fly. Targus also makes and sells them. I have tried tying them with bead eyes but they don't sit right.

For bonefish, in shallow water, I like tan gotchas with bunny and or silly legs and the bunny bones, tan and white, with just a bit of red or orange tied in. I really like a little orange, red or pink somewhere. I also make up some flies, no name or set pattern, and use them for bonefish. Usually something with a puff head and some combination of rabbit, craft fur and legs.