Forum Navigation

Search

Old 03-24-2009, 10:05 AM

Thumbs up Time out!

Used it on my kid effectively - maybe it will work on us.

Nicely written AWS . . . and thank you.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:24 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-Cs View Post
BTW Onshore - I wrote This is an invitation for you to share with us the names of all the recreational fishermen who sat on the MA DMF Advisory and the ASMFC SB Advisory Committees. I really would like to hear about this. And please no charter boat captains rolled out as recreational interest fishermen.
I'm not going to do your homework for you. What I said is true but, if you don't believe it; look up the names for yourself. It's in the public record at both MA DMF and ASMFC.

If I recall, MA DMF is required to have representation from various fisheries user groups. I don't recall more than one rec. member at any one time but, that would apply to other user groups too.

ASMFC, by law, is required to have a recreational fisherman on the panel and a commercial too, if the state has a commercial fishery. When I served on the Striper AP; we had 4 more recs. than coms. When everyone came to the meetings; we had a majority. Today, it would be even more of a majority.

This and other original paintings and fine art prints of fishing and marine subjects may be seen on my website
http://bill-hubbard.fineartamerica.com/

Last edited by Onshore; 03-24-2009 at 02:19 PM..
Old 03-24-2009, 11:41 AM

Oh well AWS

Guess the time out's over . . . well it was nice while it lasted. . . .
Old 03-24-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aws View Post
CMP-pretty much anyone who calls themselves a sportsmen would find the image of you killing 5000+lbs of female bass an ugly one. You should remember you guys are in the overwhelming minority, and historically you guys have been the first to be removed from the equation when it comes to hunting and fishing in the US. You do youself no favors barking about that kind of thing on a rec fishing website.
Well, AWS, I can understand your point, but given some of the innanities put forth by the gripers forever crowd here, my harvest statement pales in comparison. The number I put there is true and accurate for the years I fished commercially. If I use it in this conversation to tweak a whining gripers forever proponent, it's out of a sense of irony. No more, no less. At the end of the day, I've always maintained that in a healthy fishery such as the coastwide striper fishery, there is room for all sectors including (GASP) a hook and line commercial fishery that does far less damage to the growing stock biomass than does the recreational take...

CMP

H.L.Mencken
Old 03-25-2009, 07:22 AM
Sponsor

Let's face it everyone here is self serving in thier own right...that is why you are posting what "you" believe. YOU or I are not going to change someone else's opinion of what they think is best...SO STOP trying to change each others opinions. Everyone talking about this dislikes the the current MA. rec regulations of 2 @ 28" so why don't you all in MA get together and propose a change...contact DMF and even better go over thier heads and talk to the gov' if enough people scream about it they will take notice and then you all can be happy you got something done.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:26 AM
I come to play baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. John View Post
Let's face it everyone here is self serving in thier own right...that is why you are posting what "you" believe. YOU or I are not going to change someone else's opinion of what they think is best...SO STOP trying to change each others opinions. Everyone talking about this dislikes the the current MA. rec regulations of 2 @ 28" so why don't you all in MA get together and propose a change...contact DMF and even better go over thier heads and talk to the gov' if enough people scream about it they will take notice and then you all can be happy you got something done.
But, John, what fun is it to actually accomplish something? Far better to post dozens of times on a messageboard in the same cyclical argument and call eachother doodyheads.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:24 AM

do something...anything!

Those that have been advocating the Stripers - Oh, excuse me - the Gripers Forever way of thinking ( attempting to put species conservation ahead of market based regulations ) are at the very least trying to do something. They are attempting to do something positive about a situation that they believe needs "fixing". They are proposing what they believe to be solutions to a perceived problem.

Whereas their critics stand back and do little more than spend their energies spewing venomous and often derogatory comments about their lack of intelligence, or their not being good fishermen or their personally selfish motives..... anything to muddy up and discredit their rational attempt to get something done.

As long as the do nothing bullies are allowed to control the forum conversation by verbally assaulting those they disagree with then they win the argument simply by shouting louder and being obnoxious. Their lack of manners and respect toward anyone that threatens their particular point of view intimidates and turns away many that would otherwise have positive contributions to both sides of any discussion.

Stand up FOR something... be a part of the solution not the problem.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:31 AM

Dude ,maybe you haven't noticed or maybe you haven't cared to notice, but the mud slinging has come from both sides, and I would venture to say the "gamefish" side may very well be in the lead here. Do the quotes"recremercial" or "to buy gas and beer" maybe "Diodati and his henchmen"(I love that one) ring a bell?I could go on and on and on.If we're going to talk about unproductive posts lets at least tell it like it is.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:39 AM

Unproductive is any gripers forever stooge claiming that there is a conservation piece in its platform. Never has been a real conservation piece in it-never will be...

CMP

H.L.Mencken
Old 03-25-2009, 12:05 PM

If I honestly felt that the limit absolutely needed to be reduced to 1 fish I would be much more involved. To me what I see personally out on the water 5+ days a week that does not NEED to be done yet. That said if someone put a motion forward to reduce the recreational take to one fish a day I would jump on. However I am not going to agree that this NEEDS to happen because that is a set up. If I as a commercial fisherman push for that then that is saying that the stocks are in trouble (which at this point I do not agree with, you can throw out any number you want, I still don't agree there is too much changing right now to pin point that as the problem). If I believed the stocks were in trouble and that cutting back the rec posession limit to one a person would not solve the issue then I would be willing to cut back commercially. So if anyone wants to put some legislature together that they are worried about a potential collapse in the striped bass fishery I will sign on. I will not sign anything that says that commercial fishing is the cause or that the stocks are endangered. If the SF crowd wants to really solve the problem then push for the retention limit reduction to one fish a day. Everyone on this board would probably be in favor there (except any lobsterman). Take it one step at a time. That is the first and most logical step so take it. That is going to be the easiest step to take. Why don't we start a poll of who on here would be in favor of reducing the rec limit to one fish per person per day at 28" ? If that does not help stocks enough raise it to 32" a couple years later, if that doesn't work raise it to 36". In the mean time get the groups together and work on cutting down the bycatch, another issue that both sides could unite on. Get some research done, I will take people once a week when the fishing is on fire and put tags in few hundred fish up here on the north shore, take people and do that all over the place. See where these fish are ending up, who is catching them. Commercially I have caught 1 fish out of over 500 in the last few years that has had a tag in it. I have caught a total of maybe 10 fish with tags in them out of thousands. There are a few explanations on that, but I have never heard of someone tagging bass in this area, it is always on the cape. I am willing to work with whoever, I love the sport and the resource. Beyond that I NEED the resource to survive financially (not just commercially, but for charters as well).
Old 03-25-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMP View Post
Unproductive is any gripers forever stooge claiming that there is a conservation piece in its platform. Never has been a real conservation piece in it-never will be...

CMP
How is promoting gamefish status for bass not a conservation measure? You may not agree that is needed or would fix any of the perceived problems in the fishery(real or imagined by incompetent fisherman), but it certainly would conserve the resource to a greater extent than it is being conserved now.

I think Capt. John Brings up a good point. Why not put together a petition of comm, rec and commercial guys to change the limit back to 1 fish @ 36"(or 28") rec, and 36" for comm. CMP and Junior could be in charge of getting the comm guys to sign up, some of the RT sponsor guides could work on MA charter captains, and the SF guys could work getting rec signatures. I would add that we should all have a massive bluefish/dogfish fry this May after we have collected our goal in signatures, get drunk and sing kumbaya around a bonfire
Old 03-25-2009, 12:38 PM

This is fruitless and worthless . . . no one's listening any longer including myself.

Try to have a discussion, try to post a different opinion, and you are personally called a whiner, or a griper or a dillatante [sic] or a stooge or accused of posting innanities [sic] or of being a chicken little simply because you look at fishery statistics, and see something differently, and are worried.

North coast, your post is well taken. AWS I applaud your spirit of cooperation.

Maybe we all should take a time out and wait to see what the latest SB harvest numbers are . . .

Last edited by 3-Cs; 03-25-2009 at 12:43 PM.. Reason: Forgot sumptin
Old 03-25-2009, 04:18 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-Cs View Post
This is fruitless and worthless . .Maybe we all should take a time out and wait to see what the latest SB harvest numbers are . . .
I'll second that idea.

This and other original paintings and fine art prints of fishing and marine subjects may be seen on my website
http://bill-hubbard.fineartamerica.com/
Old 03-25-2009, 04:22 PM

point made.......

Originally Posted by CMP

CMP

Your comments prove the point.....thanks CMP.

Your lack of civility, your pejorative name calling and your misinformation is both noted and recognized by others for what it truly is. Your participation in this discussion at your chosen level does little more than reduce the credibility of any legitimate anti game fish argument and only adds to the negative feelings toward those that collectively share your opinions. As a P.R. spokesman for the status quo faction you are actually more of an asset to those whose thoughts and opinions you oppose.

The conversational dialog suffers and the sharing of opinions and information is stifled by the manner in which you choose to post. Surly you were taught better manners than you are evidencing here.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:44 PM
New Reel-Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafly View Post
Originally Posted by CMP

CMP

Your comments prove the point.....thanks CMP.

Your lack of civility, your pejorative name calling and your misinformation is both noted and recognized by others for what it truly is. Your participation in this discussion at your chosen level does little more than reduce the credibility of any legitimate anti game fish argument and only adds to the negative feelings toward those that collectively share your opinions. As a P.R. spokesman for the status quo faction you are actually more of an asset to those whose thoughts and opinions you oppose.

The conversational dialog suffers and the sharing of opinions and information is stifled by the manner in which you choose to post. Surly you were taught better manners than you are evidencing here.

At least Mark knows how to spell "dilettante", unlike our grumpy friend from Florida.
Closed Thread