Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Regional Discussion Forums > New England

Old 04-20-2009, 12:05 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

First 40-Inch Striped Bass - 120 miles up the river

The first 40+ Striped bAss was caught near the Rip Van Winkle Bridge about 120 miles north of NY City and the Atlantic Ocean.

The averge stripers in the area are now running 28 to 30-inches south of Coxsackie, NY. Albany has not reported any fish caught there yet.

Herring are as far north as Ravena, NY on the Hudson River.

No sign of shad todate.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:44 PM
GSP

Thanks for the update.
Mucho envy
Old 04-20-2009, 07:01 PM
Big Kahuna

Hey Bob
everyday I look out my office window in Albany at the Hudson. No body fishing...no boats out there.
Should be soon I think.... you think?
Old 04-20-2009, 09:41 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Jimbo,

New moon tides this weekend and high temps coming in on Friday with them.

If I were you, I'd take a chance and be sitting on that flat where we took pictures of the state bioligists tagging striped bass about 4 AM on Friday. 4:40 AM on Sat. and 5am on Sunday.

They will be feeding on the bait coming off the tidal guzzles from the factory down to the power line.

I'd start with rattletraps in the dark and about a half hour after sun rise switch to live herring if you can sabiki some or chunk herring. If you have big herring or bunker flies 9 9 to 12-inch Decivers, they would be perfect for the flat. Any big to 7-inches in a blue back herring pattern or the always effective Chatruse and White Half&Half's should do it as well.

I might even meet you there for Sunday. Friday air temp. 75-degrees, Sat it wil be 85 and Sunday it will be 82.

There is supposed to be a lot of rain between now and Thursday, so I'd let the sun warm the flats on Friday and hit it Saturday.

Drift the edge of the grass about 100 feet out and throw to the shoreline and bounce those rattle-traps hard on the bottom while it is still dark. Rip'em through the water.

The bass are in the area and they should be hungry after 4 days of cold and rain. This warm weekend will double the amount of striped bass in the reach between 4 mile Point and the Rip Van Winkle Bridge.

If you want to wade fish that flat, PM me and I'll verbally walk you into the northend.

Good luck!

Last edited by RJ; 04-20-2009 at 09:48 PM..
Old 04-21-2009, 05:45 PM
Big Kahuna

Hey RJ
let's keep the conversation going. Maybe one day after work. I get out at 4pm. Could be in the water by 5 ish!
Maybe the water clarity will get a little better too! Be good to see ya!

Old 04-21-2009, 10:11 PM

RJ

A pleasure to read a really well thought out plan of attack.

I don't know the water but I can put myself there straight out of the page.

Good job.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:24 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Thanks Fly,

I've been dreaming of that flat all through the cold winter.

Jimbo,

I'm hanging my hat in PA, helping my daughter for a while and I have to put a son on a plane in Allentown on Sunday.

I'll be up your way in mid May for about a week and then from there I'm heading for Worm Camp in RI the last week in May.

Let me put my hands on a tide table and focus on the afternoon tides. I'll be back about 8 pm or sooner.

Last edited by RJ; 04-22-2009 at 05:33 PM..
Old 04-22-2009, 07:17 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Jimbo,

Mon. 4/27 HT is 5:40 PM Fish the last hour of the incoming and watch for some feeding activity along the grass edge during slack and then fish the first 2 hours of the dropping tide.

You will have a dead low tide on this Saturday at 10:30AM use it to recon the guzzels coming out of the grass banks. within the first 200 feet from the edge of the factory land there are three guzzels and one of them is deep. If you can get a peek at the terrain at low tide on Saturday morning. Or at 11 AM on Sunday.

You need to spend the time for safety sake and to understand where the bait goes deep into the grass. you can walk it all the way down the shore line tothe 1st point (About a 1/4 of a mile.

There is a good size creek about 70 yards north of that point.

You could find your way to the highway by staying north of that creek. It wanders a bit, but south of it is swamp. If you know the route you could park at a spot on the highway and walk right in to the creek at high tide or low tide.

I wish I could be there, but the 15th would be the earliest I could get there.

Conroy's Bait Shop is north of where you work. Watervilet, I thnk? Look it up in the phone book. See if you can get an Idea of shore fishing locations on both sides of the river up near the dam.

Fishing the flat we are talking about will give you a long ride home in the dark. Fishing north of where you work will hold some good size stripers from the locks down past Collar City and the Uncle Sam Bridge. I've heard there are some spots you can sling a fly, but I have never fished it. See if the Conroys can tell you where the herring runs are in their end of the river. Fish the mouth of those creeks. You should be able to get a topo map from the state campus of the Hudson soulth of the Dam at Troy. The east side of the river has several runs. You could scout them out at lunchtime or on you way into work.

Look at the tides for the flat we were talking about and if you have or can borrow a 14 to 16 alum. v bottom boat that flat will hold bass thru the whole month of May.

I'll PM you near the middle of the month and if I have my dory , we will try to hook up after work, as you suggested.