Forum Navigation

Search

Old 04-23-2009, 04:19 PM

Long Island Diy help please ?

Hi there
My girlfriend refuses to accompany me to my normal diy bonefish destinations of Cat and Acklins. However for the sake of my relationship I do need to take her away somewhere this year! Long island looks like a possibility (a liitle more infrastructure and a few more resorts/ restaurents).

I am looking to hopefully combine some diy bonefishing with some beach time. I have had a look on google earth and there seem to be extensive flats present that are road accessable.

Was wondering if anyone could please advise of any diy experience they have had on Long island? Any recomended areas to try? Any areas to stay away from to avoid harrassment from the local guides ?

Many thanks
Old 04-27-2009, 06:26 PM

where are you staying in long island. that will determine which flats to check out and what info you need .do not worry about the local guides they are not what they make diys believe they are diys put more in the local economy than most fisherman who stay at a alodge and fish a guide all week p.s. i own a lodge
Old 04-27-2009, 11:53 PM
New Reel-Timer

try winterhaven

You can look up Winterhaven Hotel on Long Island. This is coming from a recommendation that a well travelled fly fishing photographer made to me. I have not been there myself yet, but I will be there Spring of 2010.

Tight lines
Glenn
Old 04-28-2009, 08:23 AM

Hi Pinky
I was looking at staying around the Thompson Bay area , but are fairly flexible. Are there any better locations where I could base myself ?

Regs Ian
Old 04-29-2009, 11:45 AM

Long Island DIY

Ian- Take a look at Cape Santa Maria if you want to make some brownie points with the better half. Its a little pricier than most but there are some deals at this time of year. If you get a Bahamas chart book of the area there is some decent flats close by. Also take a look at Pinky's site as it looks like he has a choice location and lodge and there are a lot more flats in the Deadman's area , of course you could rent a car and do both. Where ever you stay make sure you fly into the closer airport (Deadman's or Stella Maris) Send me a line if you have any questions.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:08 PM

I stayed with my GF at a place called Gems of Paradise near Clarence Town. Nice place/view/beach with plenty of little restaurants within a short drive. Lots of uncrowded beaches nearby. A real throwback place...we both had a great time.

Unfortunately the bonefishing around Deadman's was weak compared to other places I have visited in the Bahamas. Guides in that area are relatively cheap though.

If you go be sure to bring a snorkel mask and hit Dean's blue hole. Awesome!