Forum Navigation

Search

Old 04-27-2009, 08:24 AM

carb diagram 15 hp mercury

Looking for a parts diagram for a 15hp 1980 mercury carb. It fired and ran for one trip now wont go. Got spark and some gas feeding through but not correctly. Lawn mowers and chain saws more my speed and yeah I know buy a manual but budget kinda tight this year. thanks
Old 04-27-2009, 08:34 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

For Mercury parts & schematics, go here.

But given the model year of 1980, fuel lines back then were not alcohol rated. As well as a carb rebuild, I'd replace the fuel line from the fuel pump to the inlet manifold.

The thing is, carbs orifices are tiny to miniscule and to be properly cleaned and flushed they need to be cleaned and flushed in a specific direction and order, i.e., one flushes a miniscule orifice to a tiny one and then to the largest one where the crap can exit. Without a factory/OEM manual, it's a crap shoot and I've never seen correct or sufficient details in any Seloc or Clymer 3rd party 'service' manuals. IMHO they're worthless.

I'd replace the fuel lines, purge the system of all fuel and would then get Seafoam from NAPA ($6-8 liquid) and force it into the carb by getting it in through the line from the fuel pump. Do NOT attempt to start it, so remove coil wires from plus or remove any ignition kill. Get the carb FLOODED with Seafoam and leave over night. Drain the next day and fill up with fresh fuel and NEW plugs. Worn or wrong-gapped plugs also cause many starting issues.

Hope this helps ... otherwise Chris and Dave @ Perley's Marina Repair in Rowley are amongst the best Mercury guys around.

MISS TEAK, 25' Parker mod-V Sport Cabin www.classicparker.com

"Life is too short to own an ugly boat ... !"
Old 04-28-2009, 09:09 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

From your PM, it still sounds like bad fuel. I'd still try the Seafoam trick, as I've brought-back-to-life many engines ... OBs, chainsaws, pressure washers, weed-whackers, and lawn mowers, etc. ... that others had given up on as dead.

After a Seafoam treatment and some time, I essentially ended up with ALL of those machines for free ! I did learn, however, to wear a glove on stubborn motors, to eliminate the 'hard starting' pull starter rope blisters .

MISS TEAK, 25' Parker mod-V Sport Cabin www.classicparker.com

"Life is too short to own an ugly boat ... !"
Old 04-28-2009, 10:04 AM
Sponsor

little Mercs

Here's one other resource for that small Merc. Go to Microskiff.com and ask there. Lots of small motor types there, some are very skilled with those older Mercs and other brands as well... good luck.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:27 PM

15 hp merc thanks

Thanks for the replies
Have tried the basics. The rebuild gasket kit required and one small part in the what i would call the primer after thorough disassembly were over 100 bucks. replacing entire thing just under 200. New carb in next week. Lets see if I can tune it! It will probably run like my dirt bike......wide open till I dnf!
thanks all marty