Forum Navigation

Search

Old 05-12-2009, 01:59 PM

Wachusett

In the last few weeks, I have been skunked twice in a row, caught a couple small lakers, and 'missed' two yesterday....the worse part of this is that unlike last year, there have been no smelt in there bellies (or much of anything else, but a shiner now and then) from my keepers, and all others I have talked to.
Last year they were full of smelt....

Bill

Last edited by bb1; 05-12-2009 at 03:04 PM..
Old 06-01-2009, 05:50 PM

Anyone still fishing Wachusett?

Bill
Old 06-02-2009, 10:49 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Unhappy

Regarding the smelt, or lack thereof, I've often wondered about their local populations, and why Ma F&W is always so concened about them spreading?
This would be a perfect question to pose to one of Ma F&W many in house biologists, if you could find a way to reach them?
Other states have all their F&W biologists listed with their e-mail adresses on the website. Try getting ahold of one in Ma. Over the years I've tried ad nauseum to reach a biologist, any biologist from Ma F&W concerning things I've observed or with simple questions or suggestions. Your smelt question would be a perfect example.
But it appears like every other well paid state employee, they fly under the radar.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:33 PM

It's easy to understand Bob, municipal/state workers in MA do what ever they want, with impunity....as the politicians & news media always side with them, over the rest of the population. For instance, municipal highway workers will laugh-in-your-face when you ask them why they don't fix the pot holes etc., in the road as you drive to work, or your favorite fishing spot (it's not even there job, they will tell you)!

As for smelt, OTW has asked why they don't put the same 'strain' of smelt that they introduced in Quabin in Wachusett? A strain the does not clog the water outlets as they spawn shallow (or deep, I forget). Eventually they will find there way to Wachusett, as the lakers & smelt did before....but that will take 20+ years!

If your a natural born slacker....you take the civil service exam right out of High School! NOTHING scares municipal/state workers more that entering the private sector

Bill