Forum Navigation

Search

Old 08-02-2009, 08:33 AM
Sponsor

Heartbreak is.......

Having a $5 jighook break after 5 hours with the fish just out of dart range.

The long story short:

Played Whack a Mole for a good part of the morning. Had some decent shots and a few hits.

Finally got on the mother of all bites and the guys started hookng up and getting bit steady.

We found new and exciting ways to drop the fish each and every time. You name it we had it happen.

Finally buttoned up a SLOB!!!

All 4 guys fought this thing for a couple hours.

One sport break the handle off the 950ssm from cranking so hard. We replace/repair it mid fight.

1st Mate Ruge got on the fish in the Black Magic after 2.5 hours of the sports pulling on it and quickly said "This thing is NO JOKE!"

At 3 hours and some small change I get a 30' Hail Mary dart shot and miss high center.

Fish goes WAY DEEP........ AGAIN!

We call Finchaser over and have Sam Riley jump aboard with his Braid Brute Buster harness for a fresh angler.

Handle NUMBER 2 breaks!!!!

Ruge dawns fins and dives in and swims to Finchaser for spare parts!

Ruge returns and the battle continues.

4 hours 45 minutes, Sams on the rod pulling and palming the spool for all he is worth.

The fish in 40' down and HUGE!!!!! Sam rolls the fish and victory is near!

4 hours 47 minutes............ the Owner jig hook breaks and the bend. The fight is over!

Everyone saw the fish twice for several minutes. General consensus was 80" and around 300#

The only up side is all of my/our gear held up. The Penn 950ssm suffered 2 broken handles, but the drag and gears held. The St Croix creaked but never failed dispite both Sam and Shaun not just palming the spool but actually gripping it !!! My trip surgon loop held (thank god) and Pametfisher's 130# windon we were testing held perfectly!

The fish fell for a 9" white jiggin Hogy on a 1.5 oz. Owner Ultimate jighead. The hook was in the corner of the jaw (we saw it at the first dart attempt)

Here is the wreckage!

Capt. Terry Nugent
Old 08-02-2009, 08:47 AM
Sponsor

We did get some insane surface feed video that I'll put up later. Some of the best I've ever gotten. Huge pods spraying 4" herring like Pnuts.

Here are a couple boat to boat shots.
Sam leaning on the fish while Ruge re-hydrates after his swim.

If only I'd have hit that fish with the Poon when I had the hail mary shot!

Capt. Terry Nugent
Old 08-02-2009, 09:59 AM
Break Neck Speed

Maybe the Rugeman should have donned fins and swam down and darted him underwater.................................

That sucks and I have wondered about those Owner jig hooks as some have said they were a bit on the weak side. Although it did hold for over 4 hours I guess it is just a matter of fatigue. Sorry you guy's didn't land the beast but you have the memory. At least the fish doesn't have a bunch of gear hanging off of it. Better luck next time is all I can think of to say but you guy's have had some serious bruisers this year.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:13 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albiemanmike View Post
Maybe the Rugeman should have donned fins and swam down and darted him underwater.................................
Don't think it wasn't discussed!!!! After 4 hours, swiming down with a knife and stabbing it got tossed around

Capt. Terry Nugent
Old 08-02-2009, 10:18 AM

Did you happen to hook that fish right next to a big Grady CC ? If so, i would feel much better as we lost one after about 1.5 hours that seemed to be a "different" fish...
Old 08-02-2009, 10:19 AM
No Bananas Please!

You guys didn't lose. That fish simply won. Sometimes you just have to tip your hat.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:23 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenboat View Post
Did you happen to hook that fish right next to a big Grady CC ? If so, i would feel much better as we lost one after about 1.5 hours that seemed to be a "different" fish...
Yup that was us. That school was all very obviously bigger fish. We saw them at a distance and I told shaun that it was a scholl of giants not the 60" stuff. We saw you guys hooked up and swung wide on you, then we came tight a minute later. Same school.

Capt. Terry Nugent
Old 08-02-2009, 10:25 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitamin Sea View Post
You guys didn't lose. That fish simply won. Sometimes you just have to tip your hat.
ABSOLUTELY!

I hope that the fish made it. Normally I'd say it was bottom bait, but we were in over 700' of water at the end of the fight (it took us over 4.5 miles durring the fight) With 700' of cool water to glide through it has at least a little better chance of recovering on the way down. Plus with no gear in its mouth if it did recover it shouldn't have any lasting issues due to gear in its mouth.

Capt. Terry Nugent
Old 08-02-2009, 10:29 AM

Holy crap!
Sorry you guys lost that one.quite the adventure though. I've heard of a couple other owner hooks breaking. does anyone make a jig hook that's stronger. Ha! it takes quite a set to get in the water out there. After some of the critters I've seen I doubt I could do it.I had a great white eat a hooked tuna off my line a couple years ago. a big great white.
I don't think anyone could have done better with that fish, nice job guys.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:31 AM

Tuna,Tuna, Tuna

. Terry,

I am not sure what it is, but every time I fish on your boat we hookup the SLOB of the season. Last fall the 200+ fish and yesterday a 300 + fish.

When I heard Ruge say, "This is the biggest fish I have ever fought on spinning gear by far" I new we were in trouble. Oh and I think you forgot to mention in your report the hook we straighten on a fish earlier in the day.

That was true on the water warfare - I have never seen so many tuna in my life, I must confess that I may have caused some of the metal fatigue on the Penn crank handles .We were fighting the fish left hand crank as most people do, I am right hand crank. (Did I just type the word crank three times?) Anyway with all the pressure I was not the smoothest when on the rod and don’t think it was the reel that failed. There was no shortage of laughs and jokes about strange harness techniques and something about a monkey??, but when that line went slack there was silence for a full minute .

I did have a few when I got home !!! As always great fishing with a great crew and friends.

Thanks,
Rob

Last edited by justin080799; 08-02-2009 at 10:38 AM..
Old 08-02-2009, 10:39 AM

Thought that was your boat--We got a bunch of nice looks at our fish and we guessed a legal sized--Beast would not quit but our gear held up just pulled the hook close to the boat----

Looking forward to your video---
Old 08-02-2009, 11:22 AM
Sponsor

Rob,

I don't know what it is about you, but the biggest damn fish always seem to jump on the hook when your around. You've got something like 9 hours of fish fighting time on my boat split between 2 fish!!!!! Next time you come out we will be casting the 70VS's or something.

As for better jig hooks. I have a few Hogy prototypes that are not available to the public yet, that are stronger. The strongest ones I've seen that are currently available are the new Ron-Z's. Ron's got some with a HUGE live bait hook that swings and is not fixed mounted. It's setup for his tails only, but its by far the most HD I've seen on the market at this time.

Capt. Terry Nugent
Old 08-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Time to add a harpoon gun to your arsenal.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:26 PM

Great read Terry! I can't even imagine trying to land a fish in that class with just two guys let alone 4 or 5 going round robin on it!! To have the hook fail that far into it; saying it sucks doesn't do it justice. But it is as clean a release as you can have without touching it.

I wish I could have been there to see everyone' s expression when Ruge drops the "biggest tuna on a spinning rod" bomb!! Good stuff!!! And even better, everything you could control on your end worked out!
Old 08-02-2009, 01:56 PM
Sponsor

Here is a little HD video of the blitz's

It's not the best edit job and there is no music, but it will give you a feel of what we saw. I have 2 hours worth of this stuff, I just grabbed a few clips and strung them together.

http://www.vimeo.com/5891701

Capt. Terry Nugent