Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Fly Fishing Topics > Tackle Forum

Old 09-04-2009, 08:03 PM

Overseas Fly rods Love em or Hate em?

I was fishing the other day and I got to talking with somebody about my new rods. I absolutely love them they are well built so far nearly indestructable, cast better than anything Ive had previous and they have some serious engineering and technology behind them. My friend said yeah my rods are made in America>>> Now from what I understand all graphite(used in fly rods) (torray graphite) comes from Japan so even the big three American made rods get there soul from Japan, and the components also are made overseas (some of them). Now were in a boat powered by a Japanese outboard were using Korean tippet, our clothing and shoes are made in china, my hat came from Malaysia. My gear bag came from china. I tie my own fly's But where do the Hooks come from. I do think my fly line was made in America. My reels are Half and Half and one comes from canada. The Tuna guys buy all kinds of Asian rods reels lures flourocarbon etc and dont even bat a eyelash about it. Why do we have such a hang up on our rods?? just trying to get every-ones opinion on this
Thanks
WG
Old 09-05-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguideman View Post
The Tuna guys buy all kinds of Asian rods reels lures flourocarbon etc and dont even bat a eyelash about it.
Because nothing made outside of Japan comes anywhere CLOSE to comparing to rods such as Smith, SevenSeas, Zenaq, etc. and the braided lines coming out of Japan make anything made in Colorado (Western Filaments makes most of the braid here and it simply has various brand names on it) look pitiful. Stella and Saltiga spinning reels are way ahead of the competition, and so for and so on.

The objective for me, is to have the best equipment possible. If I'm vertical jigging or tossing poppers, I want Smith rods, which are Japanese. Their makers have a passion about the sport and put forth some serious effort to advance the craft.

I have a very tough time thinking that the workers in some small factory in China rolling Temple Fork, Powell, etc. fly rods give a rats hind end about fly fishing whereas I personally know employees at both Sage and Loomis who are avid fly fishers and are trying to build the best possible rods (yes, I'm aware that Loomis is owned by Shimano but the upper-end rods are still made in WA).

The companies that sell Chinese fly rods here in the U.S. are not having their products made in China because they are better if built there, they are simply doing it to shave cost - and it typically shows.....from about ten feet away!

There are some nice products out of Europe, but I've yet to see or cast a Chinese fly rod that does anything for me (if TFO rods cost what Sage/Loomis/Winston rods did, they'd never have sold their first rod). When they start building rods that are better than what is made here, I'll be all over it. However, I want the best there is and for now, that isn't Chinese.

I don't 'hate' overseas fly rods, I've just yet to cast a good one.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:59 PM

For two years I have been using some rods made in China, Spey/Double handers and standard rods. All used in the salt and with heavy lines and flies. My customers are impressed and they mostly all have high end rods. They can't believe the rods cost and they carry standard guarantees. Made in China doesn't necessarily mean poor quality anymore. I would rather the quality and pricing were American, but what's a company to do? Profit is the name of game so employees can be paid and receive benefits. Labor costs in this country have gone off the chart. Businesses have no choice but to compete. To bad!!!

Last edited by Doug Jowett; 09-05-2009 at 04:04 PM..
Old 09-05-2009, 05:39 PM

What Im saying is why do "we" not care where all our gear comes form and lets face it we all have allot. If you dont think so wait untill you get invited to fish on some one else's boat and see what you still take with you?? Why is it we will carry all sorts of impressive gear from other countries with no care?? But the Fly rods have to be MADE IN AMERICA?? The graphite comes from somewhere else the guides come from somewhere else the Epoxy probably comes from somewhere else. Why do we need a guy in Bainbridge Island to assemble the rod as oppossed to a guy in china?? I dont think the Guy glueing reel seats loves his job any more than the guy in china? Imean Sage Scott T&T and Winston all have rods in the 700 pushing 800$$ range? doest that seem out of reach for almost all the regular guys??
FWIW I will put my Beulah rods up against anything SAGE makes and probably have an extra 300$ in my pockit??
Old 09-06-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
What Im saying is why do "we" not care where all our gear comes form and lets face it we all have allot. If you dont think so wait untill you get invited to fish on some one else's boat and see what you still take with you?? Why is it we will carry all sorts of impressive gear from other countries with no care?? But the Fly rods have to be MADE IN AMERICA??
Aside from a few internet experts, the truth is that WE (as in the majority of fishermen) don't care - for all the reasons you mentioned. All good points btw. No one that I fish with cares about where their flyrod is made. We only care about effective gear and value for the dollar.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Sponsor

I'm all for buying American. The problem is a lot of the items we use are next to impossible to find that are domesticly produced.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:35 PM

Fly Rods

They work and they will catch fish. So will a mossberg bolt action 12 or 20 or Stevens single 12 or 20... kill grouse, quail. or pheasant or when no one's looking a sink box with punt gun for water fowl.

For quality and design IMO one has to distinguish Japan from the rest and Made in Japan today is not cheap...they have been working steel before the Declaration whereas China has been working jade and vases.

It's my choice and I chose to fish Sage blanks and original Diamondback rods and blanks and I shoot a Model 12 and 21...as for meat sticks I fish Calstar and Loomis.

For me and my fishing toys I buy/use USA or limited Japan Diawa Luna and Shimano Curado. BTW anybody got a USA made 260 Slammer for sale??
Old 09-08-2009, 11:03 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Fly Rods

I guess you can spend a lot or a little on them and I have done both. I personally don't see the need to spend a lot for salt water rods at least for me anyway.

I can throw just about the whole line with a $150.00 TFO and don't need a $700.00 rod to throw the same amount of line.

I can't afford a Rolex but even if I could I bet just about every time I would look at it, it would be to find out what time it is and I would not even think about it being a Rolex.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
What Im saying is why do "we" not care where all our gear comes form and lets face it we all have allot. If you dont think so wait untill you get invited to fish on some one else's boat and see what you still take with you?? Why is it we will carry all sorts of impressive gear from other countries with no care?? But the Fly rods have to be MADE IN AMERICA?? The graphite comes from somewhere else the guides come from somewhere else the Epoxy probably comes from somewhere else. Why do we need a guy in Bainbridge Island to assemble the rod as oppossed to a guy in china?? I dont think the Guy glueing reel seats loves his job any more than the guy in china? Imean Sage Scott T&T and Winston all have rods in the 700 pushing 800$$ range? doest that seem out of reach for almost all the regular guys??
FWIW I will put my Beulah rods up against anything SAGE makes and probably have an extra 300$ in my pockit??

I think to many of us, a flyrod is a working piece of art. The craftsmanship coupled with high performance puts it much higher on the pedestal than other pieces of equipment. Overseas rods work fine and are a great value, but in your heart you know the folks building them could care less about flyfishing. High end rods have perfect wraps, jewelry for components and use better lighter weight resins. They telegraph the direct connection from the fish to your reel and are the only peice of equipment that your hand is on 100% of the time.