Forum Navigation

Search

Old 09-05-2009, 07:46 PM

Bottom paint Opinion

I fished with a friend two days ago and we had multiple shots at big fish landed two massive fish and had big pods of big fish all around the boat.We were fishing in the same areas I fish and using same technique flys tippet etc. Three huge glaring differences. 1) Smaller Boat 2) Electric trolling Motor 3) dark bottom paint.
So Nothing I can do about the boat size
Trolling motor goes on this winter Sorry Kids No Christmas
The Big question is Bottom Paint? Will it hurt or Help re-sale value?? I know the pros and cons about performance cost up keep etc. But would somebody not buy my boat if I decided to sell down the road Because it had Bottom Paint??
All opinions would be appreciated
Thanks
WG
I was thinking about a patchwork of several different colors like pixelated camo
Old 09-06-2009, 08:46 AM

Re Bottom Paint

Bottom paint will make it harder to sell a small boat. I decided to sell my 1996 18' Hewes Redfisher this past winter and had several potential buyers reject the boat because the bottom was painted.

Eventually I sold the boat to a buyer from Maryland and for a decent price. But I could have sold the boat sooner if the bottom had been unpainted.

If you are only considering bottom paint for its camoflage value I would discourage you from doing it: first, because it will hurt resale and second, IMHO I don't think it will make too much differance to the fish. I have read a number of articles on that issue and the pros and cons are about equal.

Try adding the trolling motor. They do work very well. I have a guide at the next slip in my marina and he uses a trolling motor on a 22' skiff to stalk stripers on the flats. He is very successful. It is also great for making adjustments when he is drifting.

Hope these comments help.

Dan