Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Regional Discussion Forums > New York & New Jersey

Old 06-27-2000, 11:49 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

6/23-25: Chapter Closing on Sag Harbor Flats

Fished Friday, Saturday and Sunday, and it went from hot (+) to hot(-).

Hot (+) Friday, in my best day on the flats this season. Although I never saw any giant pods (4 to 6 fish was the best) and for the second week in a row I failed to take any of the 10 pound class fish, I was hooking up off and on all day under a very clear sky. There were lots of cruising singles, fish showing their sides, and interested pods. Days like that make me stoked. After returning to the dock, I tried hard to remember each hookup (by attaching them to locations and folks on shore chatting with me). I particularly remember fish #4.

Hot (-) Saturday, in that the flats around Sag Harbor inched near 80 degrees (Friday, they only peaked at 74). Much fewer fish. Very spooky (it was my first low wind day this season - great for casting and spotting fish - great for the fish to spot you first). 6 hours and not a hookup.

I had stopped for a school of finning blues on the way out, something I usually pass on when there's good sun and a shot at sight fishing. Picked one out (which spit out TINY bait at me), and chuckled throughout the whole day that it kept me from getting skunked. On the way back, I thought I saw them again, but when I approached I saw brown, lined backs and caught a few bass.

Sunday, I returned early to the flats around Sag Harbor, hoping the night had cooled the water. It had, but there was almost nothing visible on the flats. I picked up one fish with a lucky cast - probably my last one there in 2000.

Hey, Sag Harbor flats, thanks for a great season, see again next May.

Around noon Sunday I headed to a spot on the north side of Shelter Island I had fished under cloudy skies once last spring. Nice spot. I saw maybe 4 pods of fish ranging in size from 6 to 10 fish each. Also had some shots at bigger bass (maybe to 15 pounds). The winds were killer by that time (about 20 knots) but I managed a few good casts and picked up a few there. Think I'll wade that spot next time (just too many rocks near shore to drift/pole alone).