Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Fly Fishing Topics > Travel

Old 02-27-2010, 08:16 AM
superflycharters

Doinican Republic North Shore Report Feb. 2010

Dominican Republic North Shore Report

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lately the fishing in the D.R. has been getting alot of press....I recently had the chance to spend some time exploring the fishing around the north shore of the Dominican Republic...I spent 8 days fishing with a local panga Capt. and mate out of Sosua Bay...Sosua is conveniently located only 10-15 minutes east of the Puerto Plata airport.
It was my first trip to this area so this trip was largely exploratory...We fished mainly bluewater as the edge of the drop is in quite tight to Sosua. Dorado were the primary target and boy were they willing to eat...The locals have set up an extensive set of F.A.D's...under which the Dorado loved to gather...so thats where we mostly focused our efforts. Each day out we had a solid pick of Mahi between 30"and 50" also a few wahoo each day and as a bonus some "football" tunas on light tackle. One day we also had the treat of sight casting to smallish tripletail on the weedlines and flotsam.

The next trip...we'll focus on the inshore fishing and around some river mouths and the extensive reefs that line the coast....Snook, Tarpon, Jacks etc....stay tuned!!!
(pics posted in the Caribbean/South America forum)