Forum Navigation

Search

Old 07-12-2010, 06:05 PM

Bonefishing on Bermuda

Last week I was on Bermuda and booked Ian Linnell (Jump dem Bones) for a half day of fly fishing for bonefish. With his excellent guidance I was able to catch, land and safely release two beautiful bonefish, a 20 inch 6-7 pounder and a 26 inch 11 pounder (pictured). While Bermuda may not have the numbers (at least where I was fishing on the east end of the island), they appear to be sizable. Ian is truly passionate about fishing, conservation, and the beautiful island of Bermuda. I highly recommend booking a trip with him if you're on the island.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11 lb bone.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	16068  

Last edited by RKMCP; 07-15-2010 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: nonsponsor commercial links removed
Old 07-13-2010, 08:22 AM

or stay at the Pompano Beach Club and wade the acres of platinum flats out front on your own ... really cool flat ... the club is next to the Port Royal Golf Club which is very nice also ! the schools are bigger on Pompano ...
Old 07-13-2010, 11:20 AM

All I know is that's a nice fish. Good job.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:21 PM

I would really like to wade at Pompano Beach (or the other beaches in that area), particularly if there are many more bonefish on the flats. But I am not sure how to access the beach without staying at the club. Since Pampano Beach is private, are you aware of a way to get to the water without trespassing? I have a relative that lives on Tucker's Point and therefore I've mostly fished in that area. There certainly are some nice areas on the east end of the island, but you really need a boat to get to the ones I'm aware of. I'm basically new to bonefishing and am still struggling to learn how to successfully stalk them on foot. I tried repeatedly last week but saw very few, with only a couple that I could cast too. Most times I would see the the fish when they were literally so close that it was very challenging casting without spooking them. I'm a striped bass fisherman by nature, so sight fishing is a challenge at this point. One of the potentially really nice flats unfortunately is also a beach for the residents of Tucker's Point. I'd try to fish at this beach and invariably someone would come down and wade out to swim. Woe was me.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:59 PM

it is a monster ...
Old 07-20-2010, 03:30 PM

Very nice Bonefish!!!
Old 07-22-2010, 07:55 AM

on a nice day you could rent a whaler form robinson's marina in somerset and just cruise around the corner. also the little islands on your way out of whitney's harbor hold bones - singles but big.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:36 AM

I have had some success on the flats around long bay in somerset. The bones aren't gigantic but there are plenty of them. I have also done well on Elbow beach but that requires getting there before beach goers. You can see them cruising in the crest of wave. The wind on Elbow can be a problem.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:44 AM

Having caught bonefish all over the world, I found those in Bermuda to pull harder than those in most other places - not sure if it was the cooler water or what but they were strong!