Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Regional Discussion Forums > New England

Old 09-09-2010, 02:18 PM

Who wants to Rebuild Woods Hole Stone Pier?

As some of you know, the stone pier in woods hole behind the fisheries building blew out last winter. I hear rumblings about rebuilding, how many reel-time folks would be interested in helping?

I think this involves just sending emails/letters, not actually lifting and setting stones. Drop me a PM or reply to thread if interested in helping.

That stone pier has been a mainstay of funny fish fishing for decades. Not quite as productive as the seawall in Rhody, but still pretty awesome. Great place to fish from if you don't have the money for a boat, plus some great characters over the years. Funny fish = funny people.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:15 PM

Are you calling me a character? Let me know what you have in mind.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:20 PM
albieholic

I'd be glad to help a campaign even though I never fished there.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:17 AM

I think we just need to send emails or snail mail letters.

Yes DAQ, you are indeed a character. A mainstay on the pier.

I think Rob made sweatshirts for the pier. Who makes sweatshirts based on a fishing spot? People who spend August, Sept. and part of October waiting for funny fish. 4 hours of waiting for 30 seconds of rapid casting. Crazy!
Old 09-16-2010, 05:34 AM

A good cause indeed. I had a lot more fun on the pier over the years than I ever had on the skiff. I'll write letters/emails describing the role of the pier in my life starting in 1983. Where should we start? What do we think the costs would be?
Old 09-16-2010, 09:05 AM

I would be interested, however, I don't think much is going to happen. I am a coastal engineer in falmouth so I am familiar with these sorts of projects. Building or even rebuilding any sort of coastal structure requires a number of permits (especially in Mass) which not only take a lot of cash, but time even before a shovel is lifted. I don't think NOAA could simply pile some concrete/rocks on top of the existing structure either as whats left could be considered unstable and unsafe. What would most likely have to happen first is that all the loose/broken rocks/structure on top of and sunken around the existing pier would have to be removed. Then new rocks/concrete could be laid down. To complicate things further, they would have to build the structure even stronger to withstand storms and even hurricanes that have destroyed it over the year. I don't want to throw out a number on a cost, but I would say you are looking at least 30Gs and possibly well over $100Gs. Its not like NOAA uses the pier anyways, so there is no incentive for them to rebuild it. Even if they did rebuild, the fact that they invested so much time/money might mean that it could be closed off to the public. Don't mean to be a mood killa but its just the way I see it from my perspective.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:32 AM

Needs Some Stimulus $$$$

The pier was bad last year, but over the winter really deteriorated. Anyone know whether this was storm related or due to ice?

I also have many fond memories of August on the pier, wishing the pods in closer, random cardiac events as pod exploded 10 feet from my feet. Pulling my Wheaten out of the drink by the collar after she decided commorants were more fun than squirrels. Lots of characters out there. A couple of years ago there were a group of asian dry-wall hangers who drove down from chinatown each morning to fill dry-wall compound buckets with scup. My seven year old convincing me that he really had a fish on his handline 3 minutes after we got there, before I'd been able to make a cast. It only took about 30 minutes to unwind and unhook and release the 3 foot eel which he still says we could have sold to the asian fishermen.

Somebody figured out how to turn some street light work at the end of my street into a 500K project. Must be the police details directing traffic. It seems there should be some bucks in the cookie jar for a project such as this.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:33 AM

Mitch - The pier has regularly been rebuilt over the years. As a kid I saw it rebuilt at least 3 different times. So unless you know someone in particular or something about a specific budget line item, I think you are wrong. NOAA and the fisheries initially opened up the pier to fishing after a long period of informal fishing (stupid kids climbing over fences...). It's a pet project for someone there. PLus the pier actually does an important job protecting great harbor, and is also an important navigational mark. From what I hear, it will get rebuild, but the issue is whether shore fishing access remains intact.

There is a guy who sold a lot of books telling everyone who bought the books about how easy it was to catch hardtails from the woods hole pier. Inside of 2 years that place went from a local secret to basically a patriots tailgate. What ****es me off is that that guy made money from exploiting the pier, but as far as I know, has not openly tried to help preserve or rebuilt the place, now that we need him.
It's like he made his money and now he's out.

Scrim - great post, yes it used to be riot out there. The battle between the bottom fishers and the japanese/swedish lure throwers was legendary. Out at the end of the pier it was not unlike the low post of the 1990s big east basketball tourneys... bodies flying everywhere, lots of woofing and barking. Pier fishermen definitely played a different style of ball, almost like they had that extra 6th foul to give away.

I once saw a guy who looked somewhat like DAQ, in the middle of fighting an albie, take out a knife and cut a bottom fishers line. I learned how to merge into boston traffic by trying to fish out on the end of that pier.

Just like there are year classes of stripers, there were year classes of pier fishermen. This was one place where the fishing from shore was actually better than anything that you could do from a boat. A lot of people miss that. So the kid whose dad has the pimped out whaler usually ended up sulking back to the pier by the end of the summer. It was the ulitimate fishing equalizer. A lot folks new to reel-time have a hard time understanding why people would drive 2 hours to fish from shore. The fishing at the pier was that good.

If any one has great pier stories feel free share on this thread. Pics too. I got some good yarns about the hardtail squadron that used to park at nobska... 25 boats!

Back to the pier, one year a lobster fisherman decided to leave a pot about 40 yards out, right in the middle of where the schools would crash. A few guys would swim out and remove all the lures that were caught on it. Years later I met the guy and he said he never caught any lobsters there but saved a ton of money at the tackle shop.

The pier was spectacular... to suddenly see a bonito, eye to eye, 12 feet away for less than half a second as it flashed...It was not unlike walking down the street and seeing an albie peeking out of a storm drain. To hear/see those splashes, like bricks being tossed in. Splashing boils... 20 feet away! You got it scrim! Every day like clockwork, except when it wasn't.

A long time ago, there used to be 2 big pools at the base of the pier (now filled in). That was the original woods hole seal tank. One year some huckster dropped a few bones in it. Tantalizing. We had our own pod just circling. Teasing us. Mocking us. Circling.

My favorite technique was to take the treble from a pimple or deadly, snag a LARGE silverside, and dump it out in front of the marauding ablies, Off the rock pile about 10 feet from the end, which was sort of bench-shaped anyway. Sometimes you could actually see the albies tearing around the harbor, breaking first by WHOI, then by the wooden pier, then finally next to the stone pier.

My theory is that when the pier was intact, the current that rips from the hole proper through the gut, then past devils foot, then around great harbor, by the yatch club, past town dock and the NOAA boat before dumping into the whoi boats, used to stack up behind the pier. It was always crazy to me how the backside (grass side) was as quiet as a pond but the sound side would have a ripping current with eddies and waves. The bait would stack up at the end of the pier so tightly you could use an unweighted treble to snag them... haven't seen that since the holes got busted in the middle of the pier. As bucco says... the baits are around just not nervous enough (actually he says the bait numbers are way down).

Last edited by fatkenny; 09-16-2010 at 10:37 AM..
Old 09-16-2010, 01:22 PM

fatkenny - I have only been here a couple years so I really don't know the history behind the pier, however, I am familiar with the process of constructing/repairing structures locally on Cape. I don't know how long ago you were a kid but permitting has gotten very tight recently, whereas back in the day you could pretty much do whatever you want. Now you have a better chance of winning the lotto than constructing a new dock on Cape. We do a lot of work for local homeowners and there are a lot of houses that are falling into the ocean and there is nothing that they can do because they can't get the permits. My concern is that the pier is in such a state of disrepair now that it may require a lot more work than some simple repairs to the deck. Maybe not, but I am just giving you some warning as Mass has some of the strictest environmental regs around....its almost shocker that any of our projects get done nowadays. Just my $0.02. I am willing to write emails, it would be great if they fixed it up.

Last edited by m1tchman; 09-16-2010 at 01:25 PM..