Forum Navigation

Search

Old 07-02-2000, 09:25 PM
Sponsor

7/2 Vineyard Sound Report

Well today was definitely not a repeat of yesterday. I had one of the best customers on board that I’ve ever had. Don came down from Wrentham this morning to meet me at Green Pond at 0400. The conditions were excellent for a day of fly-fishing only. Don was a great caster and it made fishing with him very easy. We ran down Vineyard Sound and reached the cove where the big fish had been yesterday. Although the big fish were not present today we were greeted by tons of small bass popping and slurping all over the bay. We hit all the small bays and estuaries in the area and had a steady pick of fish to around 22”. We headed into Woods Hole and Don began to work some of the rip lines and rock piles while I held the boat against the current. We saw a few breaks but the current was a little strong even for Don’s 400gr. Line. We decided to head out to Cape Pogue and Wasque to see if the Vineyard would be any better. We arrived at Cape Pogue/Edgartown to find at least a square mile of breaking blues in the 5-7 pound range. We proceeded to hammer the blues on sand eel patterns. When they finally cut of the good flies we dug out those old UGLY flies you never use and continued to double up for a little over an hour. We decided to head out to a rip near Nantucket that has produced well for me in the past to try for some really big blues. We arrived and saw a few big blues cruising but nowhere near the numbers that we had hoped for. Don managed 1 blue around 7 pounds but the others were not as eager as the ones at the Vineyard. With well over 50 fish under our belt we called it a day and ran back to Green Pond. The weather was fantastic, the company was great and the fishing was super on the fly rod.

Capt. Terry Nugent<BR>Riptide Charters<BR>www.riptidecharters.com