Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Regional Discussion Forums > New England

Old 07-03-2000, 09:29 AM
Sponsor

7/4- Monomoy Island, flats, fly, wade, saltwater, Chatham, Cape Cod, fishing

7/4- Monomoy Island, flats, fly, wade, saltwater, Chatham, Cape Cod, fishing

6/26
Exaggerated tides have started. This normally brings in fresh fish. It will last until July 9. Look for fishing to be pretty good.
Walked a mile out in knee-deep water in pea soup fog this A.M. using a compass to find the honey hole. It produced 5-6 fish in the 20-inch range. One fish that was lost had to be big as it bit the hook in half?

6/27
With increasing strong winds and storms forecast for mid-day we decided to just fish for day. Hit several spots that had been producing on the same tides earlier this season. Today in these same spots it was slow. Looks like its mostly resident fish from here on out.

6/28
Fishing was slow for us today. Lil sun, in and out made it tuff to only sight fish. We positioned ourselves in an area where we could blind cast when there was no sun and sight fish when there was. It was an area where they transition in and out of the deeper water and also swim in and out of a cove.

Id like to thank AlanT for his crab pattern! My client's cast to several big fish on the flats today and landed a 40 incher (approx.25 lbs.) on his crab fly. He was most gracious to throw me one this A.M. at the dock at Outermost Harbor and Marina.

Noticed something for the first time this year on the flats. A good # of fish were not in a hurry on the flats. They would swim slower and hang around, grubbing for food. This is something you will normally see amongst the residents this time of year.

Moving slowly around and not wading out to far provided us with something not many people ever experience. Tailing Bass on the flats. You could see their tails flopping back and forth for balance.
A friend of mine saw, and landed a 30 incher under the same situation. A slow and stealth like approach is what is needed.

A dozen 20 lb'ers were sighted.
Congrats go out to Tom Brightman, first time flats fishing with a 25 lb. bass released!

6/29
Another very slow day. Worked transitional funnels on the flats while blind casting. Then to look for tailers. Worked several other feeding areas and came up empty. O-well. Today what we did was not called fishing, it was called tuff!

6/30
Decided to try someplace different than Monomoy today. With no sun we found fish in a foot of water cruising back and forth along a sand bar looking for a bite to eat. Very fussy, went through 20 different flies of all shapes and sizes. Finally lowered myself to throwing a white and chartreuse clouser. If I had had a kitchen sink I would have tried it. Good # of fish sighted w/ no sun! On the drop we decided to hit a flat that had a grass filled bowl next to it. They tend to hang a little longer on the flats if they have a safe exit. Good # of big fish sighted with the help of the afternoon sun and a couple caught. We walked one mile from the boat drop off and were exiled to an area void of boats and other anglers. How sweet it is!
Saw half dozen of those 20+lb'ers!

7/1 and 2
Sun made for some fabulous sight fishing on the flats! Lots of big fish spotted and cast to. Few keepers caught and released for future generations.

Fluorocarbon leaders vs Mono:

Fluorocarbon leaders have been getting a lot of attention in the last couple of years. The company tech reports usually claim that their line is superior to all others! With all of the different brands out there, I thought I'd give you my 2 cents.

I try to get away with as heavy a leader as the fish will let me so I can get the fish in a reasonable amount of time. Typically this means 8-12 lb. for the salmon, 4-8 lb. for the steelies and 8-20 lb. for Striped Bass and Blues. Bottom line is lighter leader=lower visibility leader=more strikes. Buyer beware though, there is some real CRAP fluorocarbon out there. About the best I've found is Orvis Mirage. It is low diameter, more flexible/durable than the others I've fished. Be sure to compare line diameters when buying any leader material, but especially with the Fluorocarbon. You'll see that the CRAP out there is quite a bit thicker than the good stuff. Some of the junk fluoro. will also delaminate as you fish it, not good.
This whole discussion really depends on what you're fishing for. From experience I can tell you that the steelhead have the best eyesight of all the trout and salmon. The lighter your leader the better . . . even better still if you fish fluorocarbon. Two big advantages to fishing fluoro. is that it is much more abrasion resistant than standard mono and because of it's reduced visibility you can often go a little heavier than you could with the mono. For example, fishing steelie's under normal water levels I usually fish 6-8 lb. leader. I can fish 8-10 lb. fluoro. with the same results. Yes, the Mirage fluoro. is very expensive, but I figure if it catches me a few more fish than it is worth every penny.

I have used several different kinds of Fluorocarbon leader material (Stren, Berkley,P-Line, International Angler, Bass Pro, Orvis). I feel that the Orvis Mirage or Orvis Mirage IGFA fluorocarbon is the best out there. It is quite abrasion resistant, has a low diameter to test ratio and disappears underwater. The downside is that it is expensive at $9.95/25 yards. However, I know it helps me to catch more fish, so it's worth the cost. I have been told that Yozuri and Triple Fish also make high quality fluorocarbon, but I have not had a chance to fish with it. Just remember something. The different brands that are rated at the same test will break over a wide range. The Orvis Mirage IGFA is guaranteed to break at the labeled test. If you compare that line in 8 lb. to Berkleys Vanish in 8 lb. you will find a big difference. The Berkley will break at as high as 12 lb. I have had guys complain that the Orvis breaks too easy. It breaks at what is labeled, and most lines out there over test by quite a bit.

Since Fluorocarbon does not absorb water such lines are both stronger and more durable than ordinary mono. 30% stronger in freshwater. 40% stronger in saltwater. Twice the shock resistance of nylon minimizes break-off at the strike. Reflects very little light - almost invisible in the water. The high density of fluorocarbon makes the line sink rapidly. Fluorocarbon Line is an ideal line for most fishing purposes!

We should all try to remember that we are stewards of our environment. If it were not for conservative minded people 20 years ago, we would not be enjoying the fruits of their labor today. Please remember that a fish is too valuable a resource to only be caught once. (Lee Wulff)

THANKS!

Happy Hookin;

Randy Jones

Old 07-05-2000, 01:45 PM

RE: 7/4- Monomoy Island, flats, fly, wade, saltwater, Chatham, Cape Cod, fishing

Any good sites for a map of monomoy online. I was dropped off last summer and had no idea where to go. The guy that droppe dme off said to walk straight to the other side and I would be on the flats. I could not find a path that did not end up in nesting birds. I ended up walking al the way around the island. A noon low did not help the matter as the water was far out on what I owuld have thought was the east or ocean side of Monomoy.
I made my way back to the drop off side by walking around the other end. I am assuming I was dropped off on the west side, I then walked south around the east then back via the north side to the drop off. It took me about 5 hours to walk all the way around.
I did not plan well, witha noon low tide, and the wind was whipping. I did not even take my rod out of the case.
I would love to enjoy a wading trip to Monomoy but need ot be better prepped. I thought a map might help.
I have read all of the conclave stuff on the site.
Any ideas?
Maybe a day witha guide makes the most sense to start out. I like to think I ma independent though.
MT Quigley
Old 07-05-2000, 02:48 PM

RE: 7/4- Monomoy Island, flats, fly, wade, saltwater, Chatham, Cape Cod, fishing

Actually, that's exactly what I was going to suggest, either join the "Clave" or hire a guide the first time.

The guy who dropped you off was correct, it just doesn't seem prudent to walk through the bird poop gauntlet, but that's what you do. There's a place you can walk that's marked by signs, but the birds still don't like you doing it ;-);

There's not doubt this is can be a dangerous place to fish if you've never done it and don't know the area, esp. in rough weather - I would never go.
Old 07-05-2000, 04:46 PM

bad fluorocarbon

Interesting about the BAD fluorocarbon. At my urging a friend tried some but didn't like them. He sent two spools to me to try and see if I had the same reaction. That was almost a year ago and I just threw the spools into some gear and forgot them. Then last month we leave for Belize with a stop in Texas for some redfish. When starting out the guide checks out our equipment and I tie on a tippet with this off brand fluoro. I proceed to break off the first fish without much pressure. Loose a surprising number of fish those two days including the biggest of the Texas segment, over 30".
On to Belize where, the one day we break from tarpon casting (note I didn't say tarpon catching) to bonefish I lose three fish right off casting the same line and tippet I had on in Texas. I switch to Orvis Mirage and have no problems the rest of the day but attributed that to better flats environment.
My fishing partner started ribbing me about the all fish lost and I finally remember that That tippet was thger stuff given to me for free because my other friend thought it was BAD.
A word to the wise. Stick with proven brand names.
Peter Patricelli
Old 07-05-2000, 08:48 PM
Sponsor

Hi MT,

This may help a bit or may confuse you more. Ha

http://coast.mit.edu/ec_index.html

Good Luck!

Randy
Old 07-05-2000, 10:23 PM

I too have the same questions. I've been searching for a nautical map so I can at least understand the lay of the land and water. If time permits between school and work this year I'll probably hire a guide. I believe the guide is the safest way to go plus I benefit from his knowledge re: the surroundings. I wish I could have joined the conclave on Saturday, but to busy.