Forum Navigation

Search

Old 01-10-2011, 08:52 AM

St. Maarten Snook starting to show

It seems that the snook that I usually rave about on St. Maarten are becoming active even earlier this year.

Friday afternoon found me and one of my buds at our favorite spot since a few snook had been hooked the previous week.

About 1/2 hr before sunset the bay, which was full of medium sized mullet (8- 10"), came to life. The mullet started flying out of the water and swimming for their lives. Then we saw the telltales swirls of LARGE snook. We quickly changed lures and tried our best to encourage one of these behemouths to strike.

With no success I pulled out my cast net in an effort to catch and then liveline a mullet. Well, that didn't go to well either because they were too nervous and refused to slow down enough for me to cover them with the net.

My buddie, Peter, gave up when the sun went down and decided to go eat Indian food with his wife but I persisted.

Shortly after I was able to catch a mullet about 10" which I quickly rigged and released back to find his fate. He swam back and forth but never was able to draw the strike I was longing for.

Before Peter left that afternoon he did advise me that he had scored a few snook, not too big, at another spot that we target them. I started to wonder if we were really still in January.

Since I had a client booked for Sunday morning I decided to explore Saturday morning after an uneventful pass where I had spent the previous afternoon.

First cast, two cranks, and the unmistakable thud if a snook striking my lure. Damn, he came up short of the hook. A few casts later and this time the snook nearly stripped the shad body from the hook.

Well that scene replayed itself a half a dozen times before I finally set the hook on something that unfortunately was not a snook. The fish turned out to be a 3 & 1/2 ft. Short-beaked Needlefish, nice acrobatics but not near the fight of a snook. I called it a morning but had my mind set for the following morning.

After my pick-up Sunday morning and hitting my early morning spots with no success my client and I pulled up to where I had encountered the snook the previous day. Half and hour in and no strikes.

But just as I returned to the vehicle to grab a bottle of water I looked up the beach in a patch of rough surf to see a 10 lb. snook launch himself into the air. That was all I needed to have us move up the beach 200yds.

When we got to the patch of beach where I had spotted the snook we immediately saw a few mores swirls followed by another one propelling himself out of the water. Lines in water, it was a matter of a minute or two before we had our first snook on, about 5 lbs.

Pumped up and looking forward to more screaming drags we hooked into another snook about the same size 5 minutes later. A few short strikes followed but time had run out and I had to head back to the hotel as my client had promised his wife to be back in time for brunch.

All in all it was not a bad morning considering we are in the second week of December and the snook aren't even supposed to be around.

Tyt Lynz all and see you when you come to St. Maarten.