Forum Navigation

Search

Old 05-08-2011, 10:30 PM
Jesus built my Hotrod

Well...my fillets turned out pretty nice but I was questioning wether or not the 1700 biaxial fabric would take the bend. I did a quick test with a bit of wetted out scrap cloth and came to the conclusion that there was no way the fabric was going to stay in contact with the ribs and fillets while the epoxy cured. The fabric was stiff enough to beat the surface tension of the epoxy and pulled up at the bottom of the fillet curve.

Solution: build up the fillets. I spent a bunch of time laying in thickened epoxy with a 1.5" disc of plastic that I cut from a broken windshield with a hole saw. Additionally I put a bunch of extra material in the corners of the ribs so that the fabric would see a gentle slope when it was applied.

I cut all of my pieces and proceeded to wet them out:

They were laid in with care to be sure to get all of the bubbles out:

It worked well...and I learned a few things:
  1. 1700 is more flexible than 1708 (the material I have most the most experience with) but it still needs serious working to get it to take compound curves.
  2. A mall plastic scraper is the balls for spreading epoxy while wetting fabric.
  3. 65 degrees F is the perfect temp to be doing epoxy work.

I've got to order some more epoxy but when it shows up I will cover the old work and the rest of the underdeck with another layer of 1700. The next step will be to start working on the topside.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:12 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Pressure treated plywood floor, a few PT ribs from 2x4s, cheap indoor/outdoor carpeting on the top ... and you wudda been fishing for weeks now ...

MISS TEAK, 25' Parker mod-V Sport Cabin www.classicparker.com

"Life is too short to own an ugly boat ... !"
Old 05-09-2011, 11:15 AM
Jesus built my Hotrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleH View Post
Pressure treated plywood floor, a few PT ribs from 2x4s, cheap indoor/outdoor carpeting on the top ... and you wudda been fishing for weeks now ...

True...but then my skiff would look like one of yours...

Old 05-09-2011, 12:07 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Fish View Post
True...but then my skiff would look like one of yours...
OH, by that you mean "in the water fishing with fish on the deck" then ...

Old 05-10-2011, 01:08 PM

I always lay my glass while the fillets are still wet. This allows me to roll the cloth into the fillet which holds the cloth in place better than just resin on a hardened fillet. I try and add plenty of schmoo to each fillet and I can roll it out from under the cloth if there is too much.

Sam
Old 05-13-2011, 01:31 PM
Jesus built my Hotrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundownsam View Post
I always lay my glass while the fillets are still wet....
Sam-

That's the way I usually do it too. I think it makes a stronger bond.

Unfortunately, this project is being done almost exclusively in 2 hour sessions after my girls (wife and daughter) are in bed. I just didn't have enough time to lay the fillets, let them set up a bit, wet the glass and lay it.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:41 PM
fish at all costs

lookin good kevin!

Dale, give me a call with your short cut method. I may do the same thing to my 14' skiff, which, BTW, was in the water saturday and catching about 15 nice largemouth bass, dirty bare metal deck and all. I need a short cut as I lack kevin's skill, tools, space, time, and patience to do it "right".

also, my son is getting impatient, he wants to get the boat in tip top shape before striper season! see attached pic.

E
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jack in baot.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	278.7 KB
ID:	17126  

Last edited by e-sea-e; 05-16-2011 at 02:44 PM..
Old 05-16-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Fish View Post

Unfortunately, this project is being done almost exclusively in 2 hour sessions after my girls (wife and daughter) are in bed. I just didn't have enough time to lay the fillets, let them set up a bit, wet the glass and lay it.
I have two of the little time thieves. I fully understand.

sam
Old 06-01-2011, 11:32 PM
Jesus built my Hotrod

It has been far too long since I have posted progress. I apologize for that.

We left off with the ribs of the under-deck clad with a nice tight fitting layer of 1700. I have learned that it is substantially easier to get a 5" wide strip of fairly thick glass to take a shape than it is to get a sheet the size of the part to take a bend every once-in-a-while:

You will notice in the picture above that the ribs in the short direction have had some work with the grinder done. For the life of me I could not get the glass to lay flush with the ribs when it was a sheet that was the size of the deck part that I was working on. In order to save a bunch of epoxy and glass I cut the wet out piece of fabric in the middle of laying it down to get it to go flush. I chose the short direction on the part because stiffness was not as big an issue relative to the long axis. It is a bit messy looking but no one will ever see it...

Next I moved on to the top sides. All of the structural stuff was going on underneath so all I really needed was a thin layer of glass to give some wear resistance and waterproofing to the topside. I went with a very light 3 oz woven material:

The raw wood got a thin squeegeed layer of epoxy before the wet-out layer of glass was laid down with some gentle tugging and a good working over with a laminating roller.

After the topside epoxy set up I gave it a good sanding with 100 grit paper, primed it with Rust-oleum wood and fiberglass primer from a rattle can and sanded it again with 100 grit paper.

The product I chose for the non-skid coating was largely directed by un-spent Cabela's points accumulate by paying for business trips with a Cabela's Visa:

After working with this stuff and seeing the finished product all I can do is give it two huge thumbs up. It was tough to stir due to the high concentration of rubber non-slip grit in it...but that is a good thing.

I raked on it with fingernails after it was cured and I could not get the little rubber nubbies to come up. Walking on it with bare feet was not painful. If it lasts a few years it will be well worth the cashed in points.

The next step is to get the parts into the boat.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:50 AM
Jesus built my Hotrod

I installed the deck parts and this is what she looks like:

Her first splash in the salt was last weekend and I went way up into the creeks in Barnstable Harbor. At that point there were still a good number of size large taking big herring flys in blue over white...but more importantly...it doesn't take much water to float this boat. Moving around in a foot of water is easy. She fishes extremely well for her size but I learned that I will need more room for a second fly caster to make it a really functional boat.

I'm going to deck over the two benches all the way aft and make a stern casting deck back there. It will give me a place to store the fuel tank, give the opportunity for more dry storage and make room for a second person to work fish.

She is going to get at least two more hatches forward. One will be an anchor locker all the way forward. The others will be in the fore deck over the supports for the old bench seat and will likely be for dry storage and a battery or two for a future trolling motor and stereo.

Stay tuned. I'll update as I make progress.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:48 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Looks factory! Great job ... go have a cold one ...

Old 06-11-2011, 11:55 AM

Another great job Kevin....I saw you yesterday...gave you a wave from my white pro line.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:56 PM
Jesus built my Hotrod

At the last post this is what the boat looked like:

We left off with me and everyone else thinking my skiff needed a rear casting deck. I also decided it needed a very simple electrical system to power a trolling motor and the new GPS/Fishfinder my lovely wife picked up for me as a gift last X-mas (there was substantial “suggestion” as to make and model of GPS/Fishfinder from me).

Let’s start with battery placement. My ass is big; the boat is small so the battery needed to go forward. There was a nice spot where the forward seating used to be under the new casting deck…but it was full of foam. I’m not shy about digging stuff out of boats so I went after it like a Chi Wawa on a pork chop. The finished product looks like this:

And with the casting deck in place:

The split loom in the bottom of the picture will protect the 4 gauge wire from abrasion while it is living in the bilge under the deck piece that is not in place in the picture. The wires run through a limber hole into the amidships seating area that will accommodate passengers on the port side and the electronics area to starboard:

The brown wires lead aft to an 1100 GPH Johnson bilge pump with an integrated solid state water level sensor and the big black and red will go to a trolling motor plug. I still haven’t decided if I will tie the GPS/Fishfinder into this power or use the small sealed lead acid battery I bought for the last configuration of this boat as an independent power supply. This is the scene aft of the electronics area:

The aft casting deck will span the stern of the boat and will be supported by the aluminum framework already in place. You’ll notice a motor bracket…Up and out is good for a shallow water boat and I have a Strongarm tiller extension on order to deal with the offset. I’ll also be adding a grab bar on the aft side of the amidships seating area so I can run the boat like a center console rig.

There will be more to come.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:08 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

No tin boat is fully equipped unless it wears a plastic silverwear strainer ...

Old 05-12-2012, 11:41 PM
Jesus built my Hotrod

The bow of the boat is all set, save for a sweet recessed cleat that I need to install, so let’s look more at the stern. There is a lot of structure back there to help support the new casting deck so I wanted to take advantage of it. The only spots I had to get creative with were the spans between the existing benches and across the notch at the transom.

The bit between the benches was really straight forward. It just needed a few pieces of angle aluminum and a chunk of plywood:

I had some fun with the piece at the stern. My intent was to close up the transom so I needed a fixture that would support the deck and fit well with the irregular aluminum that makes up the transom. The router and Dremel tool came out to make a part out of poplar that would take all of the curves. After it was coated a couple of times with epoxy it was installed:

One of the most important parts of closing up the transom was to come up with a way to plug the splash well drains while still making use of them. I opted to custom fab some 2” X 2” pieces of Starboard and run the sonar transducer through one and the fuel line through the other:

I’ll have deck on soon.