Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Fly Fishing Topics > Kayaks

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.50 average. Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 07:07 PM

Yak's you can stand in

My 12' perception sit inside boat is nearing the end of it's life. Been looking at Native tunnel hull and Wavewalk catamaran boats. A third boat that has a Y tail peaked my interest, but is heavier than I want to lug around. Anyone own the Native or wavewalk ? I like the idea of standing and fishing, although most times I will be wade fishing. Are these really that stable ? How fast are these compared to a 12' very wide boat, which I currently use ?

jp
Old 04-11-2011, 08:44 PM
Funny fish addict

I have a freedom hawk 14. Not as heavy as you would think, plus the wings detach to make it lighter. Paddling isn't to bad but I wouldn't want to go miles on it. Its super stable and easy to push pole around on the flats though.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:14 AM

freedom

Kid, thanks. I looked at the freedom yaks on-line a few years ago. Fishing the cape was supposed to be a dealer. They didn't have one to look at and pretty much talked me out of it. Wow, yours is 79lbs. I do see a new 12 foot ultralight model weighing in at 64lbs. My trips range from two to 10 miles, so your comments on the speed of the thing is not encouraging. Cape cod dealer ?

jp
Old 04-12-2011, 07:58 PM
Funny fish addict

Yeah I only use mine for shorter trips on the flats. Wouldn't want to go 10 miles on it. I got mine for $700 at a fishing show but I think Bears Den is a dealer now.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:28 AM

I have both Freedom Hawks...they are a sponsor of mine...they are very good for tarpon fishing...the 14ft is much faster...I have mine rigged fully with stripping platforms and paddle holders...just got back from tarpon fishing about 15minutes ago...also the NuCanoe is extremely stable and I stand up all day in mine and dont even use a paddle, just a pushpole...I cover several miles in my 14ft on occasion...I make my living off of standup flyfishing from kayaks and canoes and these 2 are the best so far IMO
Old 04-14-2011, 02:44 PM

I've fished the FH 14 on a few occasions from flat calm to moving water with a 1-2' chop and it's super, super stable to stand in for flycasting. I'm 6'4 and 220lbs.
A huge advantage of the FH is the "lean bar" that gives you something to hang onto if a boat wakes you or whatnot.

There are faster boats to paddle out there, but you're not going to have the same experience standing in them unless you really rework them.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:19 PM

I fully agree...you not only can stand up but also cast from either side or turn and put your rear on the bar and fish off the back...I even stand and paddle with a longer paddle...check this out and you will see its ready to go...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1563.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	17003   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1561.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	17004   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1374.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	244.8 KB
ID:	17005   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1378.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	318.6 KB
ID:	17006  
Old 04-18-2011, 01:13 PM
HoboFly Guy

Very interesting.

BFW ... I have always been a fan of your work.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:27 PM

Freedom hawks

I guess I cant get over the weight of the big FH kayak. I definitely don't wan't to own anything that I need to take apart before I car-top and 80 lbs is just too much. I am often carrying the yak 50+ yds with the gear in it to my car.

They look great to fish out of.

JP
Old 04-19-2011, 01:34 PM

Freedom Hawk Platform

I have the 12 foot model, love the look of the platform to hold the line. Is that a do it yourself add on? If so anychance of supply a part list/source?
Old 04-19-2011, 09:46 PM

Thanks G-Man...I think you have good taste lol...as far as loading I have a truck so its very easy and I can stack them on top of each other solo and even both on top of my canoe...I have never taken mine apart...as far as the stripping platform goes and the paddle holder goes, I invented it...very easy once I figured out what I needed...wanted to keep the reels dry as you know how kayaks are so now they are off the floor...the line is prestripped on ready with the tie straps keeping the line from blowing off...the paddle holder is so you dont have to bend over and also so you dont need a leash which is a pain...I used a 10' stick of 1/2" PVC and a few 90's and 45's and made the biggest I could fit...I used poultry fence from Home Depot which is very strong and lite plastic...I didnt even bother to glue it because I tightened the fencing like a tennis racket so it cant come undone...sounds worse than it is and it takes about 1hr or less and cost about $8 to make...you have to buy a big roll of fence but its cheap, about $25...last get black spray paint...the difference is day and night for fast cast on tarpon and when it comes to tarpon in deep lakes I would use nothing else because if there was better I would already have it...I fully recommend Freedom Hawk for stand up flyfishing
Old 04-19-2011, 11:29 PM

BlueYak, I have owned and fished the Wavewalk for a couple of years now and I can tell you that it is incredibly stable, comfortable, paddles/tracks very well, and is a pure joy to fly fish from. Bonefishwhisperer is a friend of mine, and I hold his skill and experience in very high esteem. Excellent guide and creator of many flyfishing innovations from flies to rigging. In fact, I will be fishing with him within a week's time. He's awesome. But for me...at 60 lbs and no seat or rudder to buy, the W is the best paddlecraft I have fished from.... and I have fished from all the other boats you have mentioned The boat is sold factory direct right here in Sharon, MA. You can see pix of mine rigged for flyfishing in the June 27, 2010 post at waitingtoflyfish.blogspot.com. along with a rather detailed description of my thinking regarding the set up. I fish the Cape on the ocean surf and in the bays and estuaries....and SW Florida in the mangroves and on the flats. Standing to sight fish and cast is so easy and comfortable you don't even have to think about it. 28.5" wide...and 11'4" long and comes with a 9 foot paddle. It's killer!

Last edited by Craiggah; 04-19-2011 at 11:47 PM..
Old 04-21-2011, 02:08 PM

Freedom Hawk Platform

Thanks for the material list. Another question do you only use a double ended paddle? I was thinking about a pushpole or maybe a stand up paddle. I like the double to get to the spot but once I stand up it is not so good.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:37 PM

Wavewalk

Thanks for the info craigah, I am leaning toward buying one, talked to the mfgr last week.

jp
Old 04-29-2011, 12:29 PM

For about $100 you can make outriggers & leaning post. These are on my 10" hobie mirage. I can deploy or raise the pontoons while afloat.