Forum Navigation

Search

Old 07-07-2000, 09:29 PM
Sponsor

7/7 Awsome Vineyard Report

Had a huge day fishing around the Vineyard with Chris Kirby and his Dad from Maryland. We started the morning at Green Pond in Falmouth at 0430. We headed up to Waquoit Bay and they proceeded to stay doubled up for about an hour on bass from 18” to 24” a few small blues found there way into the mix as well. When things slowed down we ran down to Woods Hole and found bass and blues breaking around Nobska Point. We worked the schools for a while then saw more birds inside by the rock piles. We went into the hole and landed another bunch of fish to around 26”. We went into a few sheltered coves around the hole and picked up some micros.
We decided to head over to the Vineyard and see what was in store. Vineyard Haven was empty, east and West Chop dead as well. Oak Bluffs ferry dock provided some casting practice between the pilings. A good cast was rewarded with a fish, a bad one by laughter from the tourists. The pressure was on the guys but they did well. When that slowed it was on to Edgartown and Cape Pogue. Tons of bait and some birds, but no fish to be found. We ran around Wasque to the South side of the island to get out of the North wind that seemed to be building. We ran the whole way down to Squibnocket in the lee of the island. We picked up a few more fish off of Squibnocket Point. Then on to Gay Head. That’s when things got really good.
We were in 60 feet of water and had tons of big gulls and some terns hammering the water. Breaks that looked like depth charges going off. We had a hard time at first getting to the breaking fish. They were moving like the tuna do, up for 10 seconds then down. Then up for 10 seconds 200yards away and down. You know how it goes. So we fished them like the tuna. We set up and waited. They came up around the boat and they were hungry. Bass from 8 to 15 lbs. all over. I marked tons of bait and fish on the finder. They were sitting between 25 and 45 feet deep in 60 feet of water. They would heard the bait and then drive it to the top for the birds and us. I couldn’t tell for quite some time what they were feeding on, I guessed from the depth it might be squid, but it turned out to be 5 to 6 inch sand eels. Big suckers. Huge pods of them too. There were some blues to about 8lbs. mixed in as well. The fish put on one hell of a show for us for several hours. The wind died down and made spotting the boils and breaks easy. They guys landed all the fish they wanted. Cast under a hovering bird or into a boil and hang on. They did a great job of working with the fish on 10 pound spinning gear. All fish were revived and released unharmed. The photos should be awesome with the cliffs in the background. By 1830 we had all had about enough and left the fish breaking to make our way back to Green Pond.
We had to circle the entire Vineyard to get a day like this, but I guarantee nobody on the boat minded one bit. It was one of the best days on the water so far this year. The water was 66 to 68 degrees off Gay Head, the lures of choice Yo-Zuri 5” mag minnows and 3” Hopkins spoons. All the bass by Gay Head were LOADED with sea lice. This looks good for the next few weeks of fishing around the area. We were due for a push on fresh fish.

Good Luck,

Capt. Terry Nugent<BR>Riptide Charters<BR>www.riptidecharters.com
Old 07-07-2000, 10:27 PM

RE: 7/7 Awsome Vineyard Report

Capt. Terry- Wow sounds like the kind of day we all dream about! Do you ever do any fly fishing trips my fishing buddy has yet to get a fish on the fly. We hooked ourselves up w/ the Redington 9ft 9wt this spring he is about to give up. I on the other hand have done ok! I'm at wingscove@aol.com
thanks for the report!
Matt Nugent