Forum Navigation

Search

Old 02-13-2012, 02:02 PM

Which TFO 8wt rod?

Thinking about adding a TFO 8wt rod this upcoming season. So.. BVK, TiCr, or TiCr x? Anyone have experience with all three or any combination of the three? How much of a difference is there between the Ticr and the Ticr X?

I read the Yellowstone 8wt shootout in which they loved the BVK 8wt (it came in 2nd place).

http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/8we...te.SageXi3.asp

Thanks!

Edit: Maybe I should note that my current "go to" rod is a 9' Orvis Hydros 9wt, tip flex. I really like the rod, and thinking if I can find another one for cheap. I might just get an 8wt for consistency. Would still like to hear opinions on the TFO rods though.

Last edited by DEVO; 02-13-2012 at 02:08 PM..
Old 02-16-2012, 11:31 AM

Since nobody's bitten yet...

In 9 wt. I've owned a TiCr, fished the TiCrX many times. Last year I bought a BVK and sold the TiCr within a week because I couldn't ever imagine wanting to use the TiCr again after fishing the BVK. It is a really sweet rod, not just a really sweet cheap rod.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:12 AM

The Ticr is no longer in production. The Ticrx is still available. I'm a big fan of the BVK series I have the 8,10 and 12 wts. They are super accurate and light. I have all of mine lined with Wulff BTT WF lines. There is no reason to upline the BVK. It casts beautifully with the rated line.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:54 AM

We have the TFO BVK #8 too and believe it casts better than the Helios (I don't know about Hydros, but imagin it to be similar). I line it with SA Bonefish Taper #8. In the same price catagory you might cross shop: Rise Fly Fishings Level series, Albright Tackles EXT and Rajeff Sports ECHO3.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:26 PM

I've got the TiCr-x in a 6 weight and it is a stiff, tough, heavy rod. I test cast the BVK 6 at a show recently and was amazed how much more light and responsive it is, and how far it can cast. I even liked it better than the Helios tip flex 6, because the BVK was more sensitive at shorter distances but could still cast far distances almost as easily. I could never say the same thing about the TiCr-x.

Assuming the same comparison holds in an 8 weight, go with the BVK if you want sheer casting pleasure and versatility for a variety of conditions. But the much stiffer, heavier TiCr-x still has its place in heavy-duty situations. A lot of people like them for use in wind and surf and current. So go with the TiCr-x if you're going to be throwing weighted stuff, or if you routinely overline your rods or like ultrafast rods, or if you need a really strong, stiff, durable rod to horse in big fish in tough conditions.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:52 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

8 wt Shootout

Google the 8 wt shootout by Yellowstone Anglers. I think that after you read what they have to say, the decision will be very easy. As mentioned by previous reply's to this post you have received a lot of good information.

I also have Ticr and Ticr-x and like them both. The BVK will not disappoint you.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:04 AM
Banned

I own TFOs in TiCr, TicrX, BVK & Teeney.
Here is what I say (won't mention TiCr b/c can't buy it anymore):
TiCrX - really great for heavy lines, i.e. big sink heads, lots of backbone, not the best for floating lines.
BVK - killer nice for floating lines and full intermeidate, not the best for sink tips.
Teeney - mine is a #12. Great rod for sink tips, shooting heads and casting big flies. There is a big difference what you want out of a #12 vs. an #8 so can't really tell you how to compare.

In short, if plan on using primarily floating, or intermediate go with BVK, if plan on using some heavier sink/sink tip lines go with TiCrX
Old 03-09-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pschwart00 View Post
In short, if plan on using primarily floating, or intermediate go with BVK, if plan on using some heavier sink/sink tip lines go with TiCrX
hhhmmmm... I do plan plan on using it on the boat with a sink tip line.

Thanks for the responses everyone so far!