Forum Navigation

Search

Old 02-28-2012, 07:35 AM

Sea-Run Brook Trout

Sea-run brook trout, also known as “salters”, are beautiful and fascinating fish. Although they are believed to be genetically identical to landlocked brook trout, salters spend the winter in saltwater and return to their natal freshwater rivers and streams during the warmer months. Many New England coastal rivers once hosted robust runs of salters, until widespread damming, pollution, and riparian agriculture destroyed their habitat. Now sea-run brookies, are rare, found only in a handful of streams and rivers.

video
http://boatinglocal.com/news/video-t...ook-trout.html

Old 02-28-2012, 11:59 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

There are a few streams with searun browns in NH and ME but they are not publicized or promoted and most who fish them don't talk about it. I lived down the road from one in New Hampshire for four years.
Bill H

This and other original paintings and fine art prints of fishing and marine subjects may be seen on my website
http://bill-hubbard.fineartamerica.com/
Old 03-02-2012, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onshore View Post
There are a few streams with searun browns in NH and ME but they are not publicized or promoted and most who fish them don't talk about it. I lived down the road from one in New Hampshire for four years.
Bill H
I know very little about them, other than having read a few stories here and there.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:02 PM

Salters

I *think* NH dropped 5000 yearlings in last year. they are trying to restore the population like they did in a couple of MA rivers.