Forum Navigation

Search

Old 03-28-2012, 11:36 AM
Banned

Thumbs up 2012 Placencia Belize Report

We just back from another fabulous 7 days of fishing with Bruce Leslie in Placencia, Belize. To perk your interest here is the species list we compiled over the course of the week:
-Permit
-Bonefish
-Tarpon
-Jack Crevalle
-Horse Eye Jack
-Barracuda
-Yellowtail snapper
-Mutton Snapper
-Cobia (yes, Cobia)

In our previous trips we had landed 12 of the first 13 permit we had hooked. (The one that did break off would have sealed the deal in terms of getting my first slam…oh well, that’s why there is always a next time!). We knew that eventually we would have a reversion to the mean in terms of our hook-up to land ratio. This was the trip for that to happen. We did hook 7 Permit in 7 days (very good). But of those 7 we landed just 4. One broke off when the fly line got stuck on the reel foot, another broke off when the fly line got wrapped around the reel handle, and the third broke off when the fish decided to swim off at warp speed 180 degrees from the angler at the same time he did a light strip strike. 15lbs tippet is no match for a speeding permit.
I, in keeping with the theme of the week, also broke my first fly line by being “a bit” aggressive on a strip strike on a tarpon in the last 20 minutes of the trip.

On a positive note I stumbled upon a nice fat cobia on our last day that weighed in the upper teens. This was sweet redemption. Earlier in the week a 15+lbs jack beat two cobia to my popper. I was thinking cobia steaks too soon! So our last dinner in Placencia was a delicious one, fresh cobia & cold beer. (I had my GoPro2 on from start to finish on this fish, the video is pretty cool. Once I get it edited & posted I’ll add the YouTube link.)
Bruce, again, went above and beyond in terms of effort & time on the water. I’ve never had a guide go above and beyond like Bruce.

Tight LINES!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rtp1.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	965.3 KB
ID:	18116   Click image for larger version

Name:	rtpoon.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	1,022.0 KB
ID:	18117   Click image for larger version

Name:	rtp2.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	1,014.8 KB
ID:	18118  
Old 03-28-2012, 07:51 PM

Wow, we are heading to Placencia in June. I cant wait!!!!! There are 4 of us fishing for 5 days. Not sure which guide we are booked with but I'm hoping for good results. We have been told that there will be lots of Permit this time of year along with the species you had listed.

I've been tying all winter. Any info or tips would be grealty appreciate. Great looking fish!!! Have not fished the Salt since I was in Los Roques in Sept/10

Thanks for the post.

Jay
Old 03-29-2012, 12:02 AM

Nice report Pete. I go back for 12 days in November. I might also go down a week in July. I love that place and Bruce is the best!
Old 03-29-2012, 10:26 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Thumbs up Great Report

Great report, looking forward to the YouTube link when posted. I have been to Belize twice and I would love to go back. Both times I stayed at Turneffe Flats and have thought about trying a different place on my next trip. Any info or recommendations on other lodges in Belize (Where you stayed) would be greatly appreciated.

Again great report
Old 03-30-2012, 08:35 AM
Banned

Cobia Video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0cuJ...I9dUL7J7oSArk=

Ok there's the link. It was shot on my GoPro2, HD mode, narrow setting. Just about 3 minutes. Also, have a polarized filter on the camera (can buy on eBay).

I've never fished Turneffe. Our guide has. Says good bonefishing there, but the bonefish near the lodge are very wise, very tough. I've fished from around Dangriga to Placencia to Punta Gorda in Belize. Personally, like the area from Dangriga to Placencia best. Avoid lodges. Find yourself a good guide, book a room on your on. You'll have a better experience.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:48 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Thumbs up Cobia

Good job, nice video !

I will say this , if anyone has not had Cobia and has a chance to try it, they better jump all over it. It has to be one of the best eating fish that swims.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:56 AM

Pete, I finally watched the video. Very nice. I have seen 1 cobia in over 100 days in BZE and that was last July up near Tobacco. I had not idea what it was. Bruce said cobia and that it was about 40 pounds. Put the fly (a crab) in front of him 3 times but nada.

What do you think of the new boat. I like it. Phil