Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Regional Discussion Forums > New England

Old 04-10-2012, 04:42 PM

Recommendations for saltwater fly reels?

It's time to replace my worn-out (and cheap) Cortland 9 wt. saltwater fly reels. Two of my friends have Lamson reels and love the no-maintenance factor and the sealed drag system. However, the better Lamson models are fairly pricey, especially the ones that weigh the least and have better coatings. I need to buy 2 large arbor reels and at least 2 extra spools for different lines. If I have to, I'm willing to spend the money but wonder if there are better or lighter reels for the same money or less expensive ones that are equal in performance.

For those who flyfish, what reels do you use and recommend? I do all of my fishing from shore if that makes any difference.

Thanks.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:35 PM
Never say never....

I will put a vote in for Bauer. I have had 2 for many trouble free years.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:03 PM

Take a look at the Orvis Hydros Large Arbor IV. Weight 6.9 ounces. Capacity 200 yards of 20 pound Micron plus an eight WF line. Sealed drag that could stop a train. Price $255. The Large Arbor V is $265 with bigger capacity.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:37 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Orvis Reels

I second the the Orvis Hydros. I think for someone who wants to be budget conscious and still make a wise decision. The hydros would be the way to go.

I would suggest however if you do decide to go this route then buy it directly from Orvis and here is why. If for any reason your not satisfied, you can return it to them and get your $ back.

I originally had a Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor with 2 spools and a Battenkill Mid Arbor with 1 spool and because the drags were not sealed I had issues and after two years of use I was able to return them and get a full store credit because I did not have my receipts. I used my credit to get the Mirage IV with 2 spools. I think would that would qualify as excellent customer service.

I was able to do this all in one day at the Orvis store in Dedham with no hassles and no waiting, I went home with my new reel the same day.

Because of the service I received I decided to make my next new fly rod the Orvis Access 9 Ft 9 Wt. and I am now just waiting to put a bend in it. My other purchase was the Sling Pack which I thing is the perfect design for the salt.

Good Luck on your decision
Old 04-11-2012, 09:06 AM

One thing you will want to consider is what species you'll be fishing for. Stripers do not require top of the line reels and drag systems in my opinion. But if you intend to use this reel for other species like permit, large albies, tuna, big bones etc. I would consider spending more money and getting the best reel you can. That being said. I'm not a fan of closed drag reels other than the Hatch reels which are possibly the most expensive reel on the market. Closed systems in my experience evenutally collect sand or water in their drag systems. I've also seen guys get tippet wrapped up in their some how. I you are on a trip to an exotic desitination and sand, water, or tippet gets caught in your drag system they are impossible to fix on your own. The cork drag systyems in Tibors, some Bauers, and a few others have stood the test of time under the most demanding conditions and if a problem does occur, you can fix them easily.

If you're going to travel and pursue those larger fish that take long and fast runs you're better off saving a little extra and getting a top reel. These reels last much longer and you'll save money in the end.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boba View Post
It's time to replace my worn-out (and cheap) Cortland 9 wt. saltwater fly reels. Two of my friends have Lamson reels and love the no-maintenance factor and the sealed drag system. However, the better Lamson models are fairly pricey, especially the ones that weigh the least and have better coatings. I need to buy 2 large arbor reels and at least 2 extra spools for different lines. If I have to, I'm willing to spend the money but wonder if there are better or lighter reels for the same money or less expensive ones that are equal in performance.

For those who flyfish, what reels do you use and recommend? I do all of my fishing from shore if that makes any difference.

Thanks.
Bauer are good reels I own two, check ebay for any brands you made like they can be had there for quite a bit less...
Old 04-11-2012, 03:19 PM

Bauers, and Nautilus have given me many great years of service. They have fished a lot of different types of fish from stripers to Tarpon, no issues.

Last edited by ifish; 04-11-2012 at 03:20 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-11-2012, 03:21 PM

reels

I own 3 Bauers, got them all for a steal at different times. Mz6 for 250$ MZ7 for 295$ ( both sierra trading post) and a m7 for 350$.

On the inexpensive side I own some Tetons, which can still be found at Cabellas for 150$.

Bauer stands by their product and PM'd and upgraded the old m7 for something like 30$ including return shiping. Then again you could buy two or more tetons for the price of a bauer.

I am an abuser of fishing equipment (sand, salt, drop on pavement) and never had either brand out and out break on me. I do pour what left in my water bottle on the reel after each outing. One of my tetons did get to the point where the drag wouldn't tighten as much as I like so I gave it to a friend to steelhead fish with.

JP
Old 04-11-2012, 07:12 PM

The guys who fish two hand rods seem to all swear by the Ross CLA reels for a good solid reliable reel. I was browsing reels on the bears den site recently and the Cortland Sterling Mid Arbor reels looked like a good reasonably priced reel though I don't know anyone who uses them. I bought a reel from a company called Solitude that is made in the US and it is a very nice reel for the money. Very smooth sealed cork drag. I am suprised you don't hear more about these as the price is reasonable for a US made reel. Reels are like rods everyone has their favorites and it is fun shopping. Good luck in your search...
Old 04-11-2012, 07:31 PM

I really like my Colton CRG-II. When I upgrade, I'm seriously considering his other reel, the Torrent. Both reels are a lot of reel for the money.

http://www.coltonfly.com/fly-reels.php
Old 04-12-2012, 03:42 AM
Reel-Timer

Certainly not as "expert" as others who have responded...but...I love the Orvis mid-arbor Battenkill, I think now the "Access". $125 price point...mine has a great drag and has meg use..would buy another if needed immediately.

Agree with purchase at an Orvis store...my experience with Orvis customer service is excellent.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:13 AM
Banned

I'll say this...
I will NEVER buy another Orivs reel for the rest of my life. My experiences not good. I will say, however, that there customer service does live up & exceed expecations.

Bauers - I have 4 Bauers. (2 MSL4s, 1-MSL5, 1 MSL6). simplicity is bliss. Now the MSL (MacKenzie SuperLights) have recently been discountinued. This has actually DRIVEN UP the price on eBay b/c so many people love them. I talked to the Bauer folks the reel that replaced it, MacKenzie Extreme & Extreme Perfect, are based upon a similar design with upgraded drag features. I wouldn't at all be concerned about buying one.

Ross - I know people that own them, good reels. Reason I wouldn't ever buy one is that they are constantly (or at least seem to be) changing their reel line-ups on their higher end products. I think part of it is marketing, but I want to buy a reel that I know can be serviced 7, 8, 9 years down the road.

Lamson - pretty darn good reels and reasonable prices.

Last edited by pschwart00; 04-12-2012 at 08:14 AM.. Reason: wrong number in my count
Old 04-12-2012, 10:00 AM

Lamson Litespeed has been great. Old Orvis Battenkill MA, not so much.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:09 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Reels

I think it very evident that when reels are discussed everyone has their allegiances to specific companies. My point was when making a purchase, for me service is a major factor and even if the product can no longer be purchased or cannot be serviced and I can get my money back, then I am all over that.

In my situation I was able to get a $625.00 credit that allowed me to get what has been up to this point a great reel.

I only trying to answer his question keeping the economics in mind and pointing out some other factors to consider, not just for Orvis reels but any reel company.

I still find it hard to believe any other company would have done what Orvis did for me.

Last edited by bonefishdick; 04-12-2012 at 09:44 PM..
Old 04-12-2012, 02:05 PM
Fly chucker

Lamson all the way here...I have used their low end reel (Guru) and been pleased with the value, and the Litespeed has been the most reliable set of reels that I have ever owned. I can't complain about their customer service either.