Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Fly Fishing Topics > Kayaks

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 2.92 average. Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 03:43 PM

Has anyone tried a HydroCycle's Wave Walker

Sometime, not to far down the road, I will purchase and outfit a kayak suitable for my saltwater fishing habit, which has been simmering ever since I moved to North Carolina.
Chances are it will likely by the Hobie Pro Angler 12 or the Native Watercraft Mariner 12.5 Angler. I have read reviews of them both extensively. It seems the Pro Angler comes out on top but not by a huge margin.

I did find another manufacturer called HydroCycles wich puts out a model called the Wave Walker. This is not to be confused with the Wavewalker catamaran kayak that you sit on top as if sitting on a motorcycle. This make is set up somewhat like the Native Watercraft Mariner 12.5, one sits in a seat and pedals the kayak much like a recumbent bike. The pedal system is mounted in the kayak and can be raised for shallow water or beaching. When you pedal, you turn a prop that is 15 inches across.

Cost wise it's about the same as the Pro Angler 14, about $2500.00, with fewer bells and whistles. No dealers are listed on the website

Here's a link: https://www.hydrocycles.com/

I haven't seen any reviews on it, nor any owner's opinions. In looking at the design, it does not appear to be as well thought out or tricked out as the Hobies or the NW model.

Has anyone had any experience with it? Either as an owner or even tried one out?
Old 07-30-2012, 09:25 PM

Wow. Not doing too well am I.

Wow! Forty five views and nobody has heard or tried it out. Oh well, guess that's the way it goes.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:03 PM
Administrator

Have not heard of it, Could be there are no dealers in the NE area. It would be nice to see a side by side "paddle off" with a hobie. The fact that you can go in reverse sounds useful.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:26 PM

I was only able to find it

when I saw a video on Youtube called "Fastest pedal kayak in production" or something like that. From what of the kayak you could see, it was clear it was not a Hobie or an NW. So I started using search terms on Google like "pedal propelled kayaks" and the like. Finally I found the Hydrocycles website, and it definitely looked like I had found the right one.

You're absolutely right about one thing. There are no dealers in the Northeast. Or anywhere else for that matter. You may have to direct order one from the manufacturer. They don't look as well thought out as the Hobie and just as expensive.

I wouldn't mind seeing a side by side paddle-off with a Hobie either! Or any type of review on the Wave Walker for that matter.

I think Hydrocyles needs to work on their marketing. But hey, that's just this man's opinion.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:59 AM
albieholic

Why would you buy a boat that costs the same and does less. Sure reverse is nice but how often do you use it in salt water. It looks like you can't stand up in it either where as you can in the hobie and native, also if something goes wrong with it good luck finding parts.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Other than the price, I like it. 475# carrying capacity would even fit me. Checking over the website, they do show someone standing and fishing. Well checking the pro angler I see it has a 500# capacity and at 36" width, it's about 5" wider. I'm thinking the prop system less prone to break down since it is kinda of a standard bicycling set up.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:21 PM

Just curious in anyone has tried the Wave Walker

I'm not going to buy the kayak, I was just curious if anyone over here on this side of continent had tried it. The design looks stable, and a bigger prop may give you more "ooomph" when your on the water. However, I could go out a get a Native Watercraft Propel Angler for less cash, and have it better designed for fishing. I kind of like having the ability to pedal in reverse, this could come in handy when fishing tight to structure. I have read comparison reviews of the Hobie P.A. and the Native Watercraft Propel, and the consistent winner tends to be the Hobie although the margin of victory tends to be pretty slim. I'm not in the market for a kayak right now anyway. Let me get through school first, get employment, AND THEN I'LL THINK ABOUT THE KAYAK AND EQUIPMENT! AND WATCH OUT WHEN I DO!.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:42 PM
New Reel-Timer

wavewalker is the best

In my opinion, the wavewalker is the best kayak in the market. Wavewalkers clients are mostly high-end caribean hotels. The kayak makes the PA12-14 seem like a turtle. If in a kayak fishing tourny, the wavewalker will be the first hitting up the spots. Its great for off-shore rig fishing. The company is located in Austin, tx and here in the gulf we do a lot of off-shore kayak fishing. I contacted Harry Howard and he told me that they are so sure of their product, that the USCG uses them for training purposes in the pacific ocean. I've had a hobie and after test driveing the wavewalker, huge comparison. Before buying the PA, you shld take a vac too austin and try it out. Good luck on your future purchase.