Forum Navigation

Search

Old 07-31-2000, 10:49 AM
martinatpw

weekend dump report

Heard the rumors of yellowfin at the dump so we made the Saturday run. Started in dead center dump and trolled southwest. temp in the center was 68 or so. Not quite right. But there were birds and bait. Tinker mackeral cruising the surface. 5 miles later, closer to the corner, the temped creeped up. Finally in 71 degrees, we saw fish. Tons of bait too. But these were not yellofin. ANd I doubt the old reports of yellowfin were accurate. These were bluefin. And small bluefin. They were in tight half basketball size schools. And they weren't biting. Our lures were a little big I imagine, so we pulled up to the schools and casted both flies and imitations castemaster, etc at them. The kitchen sink, if you will. No bites.
There were lots of schools of these fish. NO bigger fish in the area. Certainly no yellowfin, at least that we could tell. There were about ten boats in the area.

We did throw flies at a roaming marlin. Which is a good sign. Things should only improve downt there as there is tons of food. whales, all the usual good things to see. The marlin would have loved an eel, but we didn'thave one. Always bring a live bait if you are going that far south. Good advice. WE played with him for 20 minutes before giving up. He could have been 100 lbs.

So, good signs, but no landings. LEt me know if anybody landed any of those small tuna, or if they saw yellowfin around. I doubt they did. But the bigger tuna could have moved East. Anybody?
Old 07-31-2000, 12:28 PM

RE: weekend dump report

Hi. I was the one who posted the "yellowfin at the dump" message last week. We were pretty sure they were yellowfin because we saw them up close several times. It's hard to tell the difference between the juvie bluefins and yellowfin sometimes, but the long pectoral fins usually give it away and we definitley saw those. The fish we saw were on the average probably around the 100lb. range, definitely larger than basketball sized. Good luck the rest of the year.
Old 07-31-2000, 01:37 PM
martinatpw

I wonder where they went then. But the dump, or south of the Vinyard in general, is a pretty big place. Here one day, gone the next. Gotta love those temps in the low 70's though. The fish were probably 20 lbs, and not really breaking water, but rather riffling through the water. As I mentioned, we could pull right up to the school. Seems if you had a casting net, you could have grabbed a bunch. somebody said they saw longfin out there, but I don't think they were that. Schools were everywhere too. Frustrating fish.
Old 08-03-2000, 10:02 PM

A little less than 2 weeks ago I saw those medium size tuna sw of sw corner about 45 fathoms , the most whales I've seen for years about 8-9 mi. N of there and more medium tuna between Fingers and 31 F. Hole. Definitely not just footballs but lures not on their menu. Sat 7/29 I was fortunate to get another invite on a beautiful new 45 Cabo on a trip down to Fishtales - 72 to 76 deg.,3 albacore and 2 yellowfin trolling on 50 Fa. curve NNW of FishT and saw a couple blue marlin and hefty bigeye taken . Chunking all night brought 3 more yft ,on squid we caught, near 1st light then another albacore,before cruising back to M.V. Very nice but a little frustrating knowing my own boat can make it out there but would require tanker rendezvous S of the Dump on the looonngg trip home. Anyone connecting inshore?