Forum Navigation

Search

Old 12-21-2012, 02:43 PM

NC salt water fishery questions..

Hello,

I have a job offer in the Raleigh area that I am contemplating, curently I live in the Cape Cod area. The only concern I have is being so far from the ocean.

Can you tell me a general list of target species and the months that they are present? I love albies and have read a little about Harkers Island. Obviously that would be the highlight of my personal fishing season, but what else is there? What do you folks target in the spring and summer? I am 90% fly fishing from a 17' center console.

Thanks for any input!!!
Old 12-25-2012, 09:56 AM

Cape Hatteras is the border between the mid Atlantic Bight and the South Atlantic Bight, so depending on where in NC you fish you will see different species. That said, there is pretty much a year-round fishery for Red Drum inshore. Ditto for Speckled Sea Trout. There are some stripers and large blues inshore during the winter from Hatteras north. Inshore Albies are also around September through December. There are some BFT inshore in late fall/winter, but the season is often closed then. During the summer there are pompano in the surf and cobia within reach of a boat like yours. Offshore fishing can be excellent pretty much year-round due to the close proximity to the Gulf Stream. You can be fishing blue water less than an hour from leaving the Dock at Oregon Inlet. Keep in mind that the wind blows frequently and HARD down there. You will get many more days that you want to go out, but the weather dictates otherwise than you have on the Cape.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:13 AM

Awesome!! thats just what I was looking for.

I would be living in the Raleigh/Durham area, so would want to probably dry store the boat (maybe rack??) at a marina that is close proximity to fishing. I was looking at rates, they seem very reasonable!

Thanks for your input.