Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Regional Discussion Forums > New England

Old 03-31-2013, 06:18 PM
NausetDog

Boot Foot or Stocking Foot Waders?

I'm ready to buy a new set of waders and am torn between boot foot or stocking foot waders. I fish almost exclusively salt water and have been wearing stocking foot for the last 6 or 7 years. My wading shoes are very comfortable but I hate all the sand getting in them and bunching up under the soles of my feet.

What do you prefer? Boot Foot or Stocking Foot? My major concern in switching over to boot foot is all the walking I do, some times as much as an hour walk to the spots I fish. How have you that own boot foots found them to be comfort wise on long walks on the sand?
Old 03-31-2013, 06:46 PM

Just make sure the boots fit well, if they are to big you will not be very happy, and there won't be any sand under you feet.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:38 PM
Raise The Colors

I prefer stocking foot with a hard-sole boot (I use Seasoft Sunray dive boots). I like the idea that I can switch out boots if I want, but mostly it is just a personal preference. I do occasionally do a whole lot of walking with this set up and have always been very comfortable.
Joe
Old 03-31-2013, 09:03 PM

If you fish the surf beaches at all, boot foot is the only way to go. Simple, comfortable, no bending over to lace up boots, easy off. Tried stocking foot/wading boots. The sand gets in no matter what you do....particularly in the surf.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:08 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Thumbs up Boots

I like the stocking foot waders. I have always had an issue with sand in the boots. LL Bean made a pair of boots that were available for years and awesome. They redesigned them and finally after trying every boot they made I gave up on LL bean.

I tried other boots and finally settled on a pair of Chota's and they have been fantastic. I spend a lot of time in the water and these boots get virtually no sand in them at all after an entire day in the water. The lacing system they have also is fantastic, so fast and great in cold weather, especially on the hands and fingers.

I got mine at the Bearsden, Scott recommended them and he was spot on.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:02 PM
Administrator

I think if you look around you can find boot foot waders that will be excellent. I was using two waders, one for warmer weather and a neoprene set for cold weather. The breathable waders had a lace up boot on them what was comfortable and easy to walk in. The neoprene waders the boot have a boot that is more clunky and not the best for long walks. Unfortunately after my hip surgery I can't fit into either of these waders, what size foot do you have, perhaps I can save you some $$. Found a pair of neoprene waders I can get my legs into, but had to buy a size 14, sliver lining, the toes will never be cramped.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:59 PM

I have both. I like the bootfoot better in the salt. No laces and the eyelets on my wading boots don't get eaten up by the salt
Old 04-02-2013, 11:07 AM

The boots and waders I use are dependent on conditions. If walking is required on sand I use either an LL Bean boot or Orvis flats shoes with stocking foot waders. The flats shoes are lighter than the boot and less bulky. If the area Iím fishing is rocky I use boots with studs. Sand in boot foot waders is an issue. I find waders with an integrated gaiter helpful but not at all perfect.

Although I have a pair of boot foot waders I find them uncomfortable if any walking is required
Old 04-02-2013, 11:31 AM

Dog

I've had, for the last 3 years, the same pair of Chota boots bonefishdick has and have found them to very comfortable ( but a little on the heavy side). And I haven't had a particular sand issue with them and I spend a lot of time walking beaches.
I have boot foot waders that are insulated that I wear at the very end of the season when the water starts to get pretty chilly and they keep my feet much warmer than the stocking foot do. But walking any distance they're not nearly as comfortable as the stocking foot/ boot combo.
It's the old " double edged sword issue". More comfort and deal with the sand and time to lace up or keep it simple but with less comfort.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:04 PM

for me now..bootfoot. faster and easier to get on. I will never get another pair of stocking foot..to much sand even with the gravel guards. I walk a ton, I go to the honey hole in the woods, go the extra mile that the googans wont...bootfoot.

quite frankly I get better feel out of the bootfoot than stocking foot....my biggest complaint about them all is the inseam... to get a comfortable walking stride or climb into/out of a boat I need either the next foot size up...or the extra long legs... don't worry about the size of your boot or boot foot, focus on the room in your crotch...more isn't always better...try a pair on and attempt to climb over something...that will let you know if they fit.

or you can suck it up, trail behind and know that you will be warm and dry in the duck blind or fishing hole because at the end of the day...you are wearing rubber pants.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:55 PM
Team Slay

Simms G3 stocking foot

do yourselves a favor, get an appropriately sized pair of simms stocking foot G3's (there are different sizes for chest and inseam etc) and then all you need is a decent pair of boots - doesn't have to be anything fancy. After several different waders i've found the G3s leave me with ZERO complaints regardless of the type of fishing / walking i'm doing.
I've spent over 36 hours straight in them - they are bomb proof and wicked comfortable. I don't plan on ever getting a different pair of waders. If these wear out, 1) their customer service department is awesome, and 2) i'd pony up the cash for a new one