Forum Navigation

Search

Old 03-21-2009, 04:29 PM
Jesus built my Hotrod

Transom Rebuild

The project is well underway and there is no turning back now. I striped all of the hardware, plumbing and electrical from the stern of the boat and disconected the motor over the past two weekends.

Pulling the Big Red Plug was a little bittersweet but don't worry...I'll get over it.

I took a couple shots of the stern so we can keep track of the progress. The first one is an overview and the second has some red dotted lines indicating where I'm going to make cuts.

The goal here is to free up some additional floor space at the ass end of the boat, close in the transom and hang a bracket for the new Suzi 250 I picked up last fall.

It is going to be a BIG project...especially for a hack like me. I'll keep posting to this thread to share progress and anti-progress as I move toward completion.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:59 PM
Break Neck Speed

Kev,
Good luck with the project. You will be very pleased when she is all done and you are going to love that Suzuki 250 with the bracket. That boat is really going to skoot with that setup.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:47 PM
Beat it!

Thumbs up

full transom... a nice upgrade for sure. nevermind the 4 stroke! i am going to miss the sound of mine.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:25 PM
Jesus built my Hotrod

The boat is looking a little naked these days. Getting the old motor off turned out to be a non-issue. The hardest part was getting it bolted to the motor stand. The cutting will start this week. I'm really excited!

Special thanks to Dale for shagging his ass all the way out to my place to lend a hand in removing Old Smokey and to my buddy JAVIDANGLER for lending the motor stand/removal device.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:32 PM
Break Neck Speed

Kev,
Are you cutting the whole transom out and replacing??? Or just doing the stuff you outlined in your first post??? If you are doing the whole transom what is the layup schedule/plans??? Wood?? Fiberglass??? Definitely a big job but will be soooo rewarding when complete.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:55 PM
Jesus built my Hotrod

Mike-

I'm doing a complete transom rebuild. It will be epoxy/glass over wood. I got some water weeping out the last time I cut a hole to mount something so I decided that I would just rip the whole damn thing out and start fresh. The plans are pretty complicated but I will keep posting here as I go through all of the steps...it is going to be SWEET when it's done.

I'm hoping to be in the water by the middle of May.

K

Old 03-22-2009, 07:32 PM
Break Neck Speed

Sounds awesome. I have never undertaken such a big rebuild project with my boats. I did completely rebuild a Ford Ranger pickup with a Mustang 5.0 engine, tranny, 6" lift, etc. several years back which was an enormous project but was a ton of fun. Ton's O' money but very satisfying in the end. I sold it a couple of years ago for $4,000.00 but had over $10,000 into it. No biggie it's just money.............

Old 03-22-2009, 11:05 PM
fish at all costs

so far so good kevin...hey, you need to change the pic of your boat in your sig line to show the cool mini T-Top its got now..
Old 03-23-2009, 12:31 PM

Nice! Making a great boat even better. Can't wait to see the new pics.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:22 PM
Jesus built my Hotrod

The Stratos 2250 hull was available as a walk around, an open transom center console and a full transom CC with the motor on a bracket. Obviously, we're going for the latter in this project. This is a picture from the 1992 Stratos brocure showing the full transom design:

In my re-design, the transom cap will be slightly smaller than the production model freeing up another 3 or so inches at the stern. It will leave room for the trim tab and washdown pumps but not much else...mine won't have the transom mounted live well seen in the pic above. I'm pricing out brackets right now and will end up with a 4 or 5' platform (thats a 5 footer in the picture) on a flotation style bracket. Hopefully the extra bouyancy afforded by the flotation bracket will offset the weight of the heavier 4S motor. The boat likes to sit low at rest (low enough that waves astern would cause the lower cowling of the motor to go under water) so, like FinAddiction did on his boat, I decided to mount the bracket 5 inches higer and go with a 30" motor. That combined with the extra flotation from the bracket should keep the new motor high and dry.

I have prety much spent all winter thinking about this project, weighing the pros and cons of materials and techniques. What I've decided is that I will be true to the original construction with one caveat. The transom and other structural components will be cored with marine plywood but, rather than use typical vinyl ester resin and fiberglass for encapsulation, I'm going to use some fancy ass epoxy.

I know some people freak out about wood in boats these days but it is really hard, if not impossible, to beat the strength to weight ratio of laminated marine plywood. The wood cored transom on the boat is 18 years old and still strong. It has some water intrusion but it would be years before it NEEDS to be replaced.

The boat is going to be pretty cool and really fishable when she's finished.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:16 PM

Transom Rebuild

Gofish
That is a great project! Just out of curiosity are you on the North Shore?
I have built a number of boats using epoxy/fiberglass and never had a problem as long as the wood is thoughoughly covered in epoxy. I would recommend Meranti plywood for the transom because it is a bit stronger and moisture resistant than other types. In the transom with quality epoxy you die before rot sets in. Recommend System Three over West Systems.
Keep posting progress pictures,
BBD
Old 03-23-2009, 09:19 PM
Break Neck Speed

Kev,
How do you secure the new transom into the structure of the boat> I know there will be a lot of glassing in of components but how do you structurally install the new transom assembly??? Is there screws involved??? High glue??? I have never done anything this involved on a boat and am very curious as to how it is done.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:27 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoatDog View Post
Recommend System Three over West Systems.
The plan is to use Raka epoxy from Larry, www.raka.com .
Old 03-23-2009, 09:44 PM
Jesus built my Hotrod

Mike-

I've got a pretty crafty plan for securing new structure to the existing structure. It will add about 18 lbs to the current stern weight but the new transom will be more a part of the boat than the old one and capable of holding much more weight than I plan to add. When you can't engineer for performance...over engineer..

Stay tuned for details and pics...

Old 03-23-2009, 10:12 PM
Break Neck Speed

You engineering types kill me............
Please do take pics of the new M1A1 structuring as I can't wait to see what you have come up with. By the way I will email you pics of the new (old) radar mount on my boat as soon as I get it completed. I was not able to use the setup the way you had it as i could not fit your console grab rail without replacing my windshield (expensive) so I am finagling it to use my existing windshield rail and some newly crafted supports ala the Go Fish technique (Thanks for the great idea) bracing it on both sides of the windshield rail and front and back of the rail to the mount. I don't think it is going to look as good as yours did but I will have additional height for the radome and still have the fold down functionality. Just trying to find a good system for quick disconnect at the brace locations, something I can hand tighten and loosen without tools but still be rigid. I found some custom thumb screws in 1/4 x 20 at McMaster and I am going to get some and see if they work.