Forum Navigation

Search

Old 04-02-2009, 09:13 AM
Jesus built my Hotrod

I get what you're saying now.

I did leave them as long as I could. There were some 3-4" diameter rigging holes cut in the stringers (red arrows in the pic. below) . I made my cuts just forward of them (dashed lines)

Old 04-02-2009, 09:27 AM

Looks like you caught that rotted transom just in time and she'll be better than new when you are finished.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:58 PM
Jesus built my Hotrod

Scratch what I said about the inside being dry. I got the first layer of ply off the stern this evening and it was good and soaked. There was plenty of black wood to be found but thankfully it all came out fairly easy:

I set the depth on my skill saw and diced it up into small sections and worked 'em loose with a pry bar. I couldn't get into the corners with the saw so I just put a little ass into the bar and got a little nutty on it. I'll have to go easy on the next layer so I don't bust up the transom glass.

It was good and soft down by the garboard drain:

Well...it just wouldn't be a proper transom refurb thread without a picture of a pile of transom mulch:

Old 04-02-2009, 07:40 PM
Beat it!

by the lack of bottom paint i'm assuming that boat wasnt kept in the water.... i guess that doesn't matter though. just kind of surprised it had that kind of rot from sitting on a trailer with a knowledgable owner. you're way better off with the full transom and bracket for sure though, rotten transom as motivation or not.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:25 PM
Jesus built my Hotrod

There is another thread like this one where I covered the the removal of 10 years worth of bottom paint from this boat. It's on "the other site" though.

I'm the second owner. The first owner was a rich dude on Nantucket that bought the boat as a toy for his grand kids to play with. It spent it's life prior to me on a mooring.

The rot really isn't that bad considering it is a 17 year old hull. All of the ply was wet but the layers were still stuck tight. It would have gone another bunch of seasons before it started to get soft.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:42 PM
Jesus built my Hotrod

No boat progress this weekend but I had a good excuse.

Can you guess what I was doing instead of ripping rotted wood out of the boat?

We took a pilgramage through the rain to see the Toumb of the Unknown today but the camera stayed dry. The rain on my face masked the tears for those that have passed to make our lives better. They were all kids, fighting for our way of life.

Our walk through the FDR memorial was timely. It was a reminder of what our country has been through...in much more difficult times. This may be the great Recesssion but it pales in comparison to our not so distant past.

I'm in the middle of rebiulding a boat that I don't need. We are all worrying about our jobs and wether or not we will be able to go tuna fishing as much as we did last year.

Our great grand parents were trying to figure out how to feed our grand parents they were our age.

We need to quit our bitching and be thankful for what we have.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:34 AM
Registered Peruser

Dc - Ot

I'm thankful I don't have to rebuild my transom before the fishing starts!

Did you go to the Vietnam Memorial? Incredibly moving, no matter how prepared you think you are for it! I only missed the draft by a couple of years so there was a slight bit of shame to go along with the gratitude & empathy I felt for all those young men & women whose names are on that wall! War sucks!

Do you have a bracket picked out for this project? Aluminum?

Chris
Old 04-07-2009, 11:08 AM
GSP

Can you guess what I was doing instead of ripping rotted wood out of the boat?
Will be there next week. Hopefully the blossoms will still be around.
Great thread, good luck with the outcome.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:44 PM
Jesus built my Hotrod

Chris -

We visited the Vietnam Memorial but payed our respects from a distance. It was incredibly crowded. I have visited it many times in the past and I agree, it is incredibly moving.

The aluminum bracket will look something like this:

The folks at A&J Marine Welding will be doing it up custom for me complete with a little bigger flotation chamber to help the boat hold up the extra weight of the four stroke motor, the bracket and all the extra glass and wood that will be added to the transom.

I'll post a picture of the real think when it shows up in a couple of weeks.

FishFarmer- the peak for blossoms was this week but I bet they will still be around for next weekend.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:00 PM
Jesus built my Hotrod

I learned several very important things tonight:
  1. Nearly dull wood chisels make great scrapers
  2. No single hardware store in New England has enough 14 grit grinder discs for a transom refurb
  3. You can make enough dust to fill a 5 gallon shop vac pretty quickly
  4. I really need to get some ear plugs to go with the safety glasses and respirator

The wood is gone from the transom, and it came out alot more easily than I expected. There were some places where it was really well adhered to the transom glass and I actually took up a layer of the glass with the wood while I was prying. There was extra time left in the session tonight so I took on the task of grinding out the tabbing for the old inner transom skin. It is going to clean up nicely but I've still got alot of grinding ahead of me:

Old 04-07-2009, 10:58 PM
Break Neck Speed

Wow Kev you went to DC and still got this far with it! You are smoking through this project.....look out tuna the GoFish is going to be ready to assault you sooner than later. I got all of my Furuno gear today WooHoo!!!!! Like Christmas in April!!! 1824C/NT radar, DFF1 broadband network sounder, BBWGPS ant. and Airmar M260 and an Azimuth 1000 for heading input. Now like you I have a bunch of serious work ahead of me. I got your old mount all mounted on the boat in such a way as I am fairly certain it will be a very solid mounting for the radome. I have 2 support legs going port/starboard from the main mast to my grabrail and then I made a new support that mounts to the front of the console and goes up and meets on the front of the main mast where the other 2 are, kind of a triangle arrangement. It is definitely not as convenient a setup for travelling as yours but still folds down and should work pretty good. I will shoot you some pics for engineering critique this weekend.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:08 AM

I have been following your progress...looking good so far. I myself would never even attempt what your doing so I am in awe...good luck. I can't wait to see how this ends up.

First time I went to the Viet Nam Memorial the hair stood up on the back of my neck..along with a few tears.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:10 PM
Jesus built my Hotrod

This was a big weekend for the project.

I took advantage of the junk weather on Saturday to make a trip out to the Woodery in Lunenberg to see a man about some marine plywood. The Woodery is one of those specialty lumber yards and they happen to stock all manner of very nice marine ply. I got a woodery just walking through the racks looking at the absolutely beautiful timber they have for sale.

It turns out the dude I spoke with spent his former life building boats on the North Shore so I picked his brain for a while and shared my plans for the hull refurb with him. He was a wealth of information and convinced me I was throwing money away using $110 a sheet marine ply for this project. It was his opinion, and now mine, that good quality exterior grade ply with waterproof glue is just fine for a laminated transom.

Rather than dropping $220 for two sheets of marile ply I spent $260 and got all of the lumber I'm going to need for the whole project.

Today started with a little touch up grinding to make sure I got all of the high spots evened out so the new transon core will lay flat. After I was satisfied with that I clamped and screwed a sheet of luan to the outside of the transom and transfered the shape of the stern to it. A little bit of measuring to reduce the size so it would fit inside the hull and a some zip-zip with the jig saw and I had a template for the transom core.

My hope was that it would fit into the hull in one piece but it was not to be. I scratched my head for a while and decided to cut it in two with the seams offset on the two pieces of 3/4" ply that now make up the core. The pictures below show it better than my words:

The seams are offset by 2 feet so there will be plenty of support from the opposing piece of transom ply to give it strength. Additionally, the load is going to be distributed across the stern by the bracket. I think she'll hold together nicely.

Inside, the core will be siting in a nice bed of adhesive putty to take up the small gap left around the core:

The whole thing will be painted with epoxy before assembly and then will get glassed into the hull and stringers.

Next step will be to build the new stringer and floor support system. I'm pretty excited. This boat is going to be bad as hell when she's finished.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:49 PM
Long Time RT'R

Great Job

Hi Kev,
Just got your PM, not sure what happened. Anyway the transom job looks great. I had a freshwater boat that first the floor went and I did that job. Then the transom. It was only 5 years old for the floor and 7 years for the transom, and it was sent back to the factory for the rebuild. This was a boat that was always trailered. They did mine exactly as you described yours. I really didn't want to get into it. They required I removed the motor, thus the engine stand.

My boat is still sitting under the cover. I did buy a new battery and bottom paint yesterday... The fun begins soon.

Good Luck, If you need help let me know I almost go past your house every night on the way home from work..
Old 04-19-2009, 09:42 PM
Jesus built my Hotrod

It's been a while since my last update, primarily because my stupid "gainful employment" keeps getting in the way. Don't get me wrong, I am thankful to have a job that I love, but it always seems to get busy when I need it to fade into the background for a while.

I ordered the Raka epoxy and a bunch of glass last week. Larry Steves, the owner of Raka, is simply the balls. I spent at least 20 minutes on the phone with him getting tips on the project and good advice on what to buy. I highly recommend Raka and Larry.

Progress this weekend was tough. I built the stringer/deck support system and figuring out all the angles...with no reference...almost killed me. In a house there are no square corners or plumb walls but you can use a bubble level as a reference for everything. In the boat it is all uneven surfaces, curves, some compound angles...and a bubble level means nothing to a boat on a trailer.

I eyeballed a lot and cut more trial templates than I care to remember. Patience won out and I'm happy with the result:

The original stringers are 3/4" ply and so is the middle layer of my stringer upgrade. The outer layers are 1/2" ply. The new work is obviously over built, but there is no question in my mind that the transom will hold up to any punishment a 600+ pound motor 30" aft can dish out. I'm going to bevel the forward edges of the 1/2" pieces to make it easy to tab it into the existing stringers and cut an angle from the base of the rigging notch in the old stringers up and aft through the new work to make glassing that angle easier as well. Everything is going to get coated with epoxy before I lay up the glass.

The upright edges will provide support for the new inner transom bulkhead and afford plenty of structure to support the sweet new seat I picked up from Mr. Moore. Notice as well that the top and aft most portion of the top of the new work is set up to accept the ply that will back the transom cap.

I've got to figure out what I'm going to do with the outboard stringers. Building them up like this is really overkill but I need to get them back to the transom. It would be nice to have access through one hole to that portion of the bilge as well.