Forum Navigation

Search

Old 04-20-2009, 09:44 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Lookin' good Kevin. My only comment would be the 90-degree square cuts. Could you or should you have rounded them to avoid corners where shear stresses build-up?

Also, your outer-most knees could simply be an angle from high on the transom and down to the stringer, which would give a long ~45-degree angle for any 'pushing' moment.

I agree with the idea of fabbing in a thru-hole. What about limber holes through the bottom of the stringers? Some glass in PVC tubes cut in half the long way.

Are you also going to add any 2-part foam back there?
Old 04-20-2009, 12:39 PM
Jesus built my Hotrod

D-

The annotated picture below will answer most of your questions.

The one 90 degree cut that will remain defines the transition from the deck to the inner transom bulkhead. It kinda has to be square.

I'm going to cut in some limber holes but there will be no foam back there.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:04 PM
Sponsor

I had the same thought as Dale. Do you have to run the deck that far back ? A 45 degree gusset between the arrow for the inner transom and deck supports would beef it up quite a bit.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:32 PM
Jesus built my Hotrod

I don't have to run the deck back that far but claiming that deck space was one of the main reasons for undertaking this project. I agree that adding more material near the thin part of the stringer "knee" would beef it up but I don't think it is going to be necessary.

The flotation bracket that is on the way is going to have the bulk of its mounting points below the level of the deck so most of the "pushing" moment is going to be in a vector that aligns with the stringers.

I was more concerned with the lever moment of the motor out on the bracket pulling on the top mounting locations and pushing on the bottom ones while bouncing down the highway. In my mind it is more important to impart extra vertical stiffness to the transom than it is to provide a big base for the motor to push against.

That being said, the pictures don't do the new work justice. If you saw it first hand you wouldn't be worried at all. It is WAAAAY over built.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:22 PM
fish at all costs

looking good kevin!!!
Old 04-23-2009, 06:40 AM

Looking great Kev....I give you a lot of credit.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:22 PM
Jesus built my Hotrod

All the lumber got a nice coat of epoxy tonight:

Tomorrow is the big day. The transom core will be installed and get glassed into the hull.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:34 PM
Jesus built my Hotrod

All through this project I have been wishing for warmer weather so we could start laying up epoxy. Well...I got my wish today but is came through a little to strong. Dale came out to help in anticipation of getting a lot more done than we did. The rising temps made it impossible to keep a pot of epoxy alive long enough to get full use out of it. It would kick long before we could get it spread.

Before it got too hot we were able to get the transom core in place.

The inside of the remaining transom glass got a good coat of Cab-o-sil thickened epoxy.before we dropped the first two pieces of transom core in place. More thickened epoxy was plastered on the inside surface of the first layer of transom core before the second layer was dropped in place.

Prior to this step I cut 1/2 inch holes through the remaining transom glass and the new core pieces to allow bolts to be inserted and squeeze the whole thing together. There were big fender washers inside and outside I used extra timber to make sure the load applied by the bolts was spread out as evenly as it could be. Between the wood outside and the wood inside the transom glass complied and made a nice flat surface.

Dale went above and beyond to recover some slow hardener from his place and drive it half way back to me after driving out to me to help with the lay up in the first place. Hopefully this will help me to be productive tomorrow and get the glass layed up on the new core.

Thanks again Dale.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:58 PM

Looking good.

sam
Old 04-26-2009, 07:38 AM

I'm not seeing the images; just me, or are others having the same problem? When the thread started, I did see them. Using FF, latest version.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:54 PM

Must be your setup Dan, I can see them. nice work by the way.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:54 PM

you can put that mixed epoxy container in a bath of ice water underneath.
that will help it last longer before it kicks.
just make sure you spread it well the first time.

on that stringer to transom support you could double up the thinnest part.
just a piece big enough to spread the stress away form that one area.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:09 PM
Jesus built my Hotrod

I have no clue why I got disappointed that Dale and I were not able to get farther than we did yesterday. We accomplished a very important job and there was no way in hell we were going to get the first layer of glass up. There were way too many little jobs that had to happen first that required their own curing time not to mention the fact that one of the jobs was to fill all of the holes left behind by the bolts that were used to keep the core and outside transom wall in contact while it cured.

After yesterday's lesson on the temperature dependence of first order chemical reactions I had a better plan for today. I got up early (while it was still relatively cool) got going on filling the gap between the new core and the hull with Cab-o-sil thickened epoxy. I worked with batches that were a quarter the size of yesterdays batches and didn't waste a drop of epoxy:

Next I went after all of the 1/2 inch holes in the new work and the associated old work. 1/2 inch dowels were cut, dipped in epoxy and slid into the holes so that they were just shy of flush on the outside of the boat. The gap was left so I can grind back the exterior glass and fill and fair the hole on the outside of the transom.

By the time I finished these little jobs up it was close to 75 degrees and a lot warmer under the boat cover. It was time to take a break:

My lovely wife, who is 6 months pregnant, was dieing to go fishing. We loaded up the little jon boat and floated the mighty Assabet through town. The river was on fire. There was a huge caddis and mayfly hatch and the fish were taking just about anything offered. The ticket for Shannon was a 1/16th oz. white Rooster tail and I was killing them on a soft hackle caddis emerger fished on the swing. These were the mayflies:

These were the fish:

Trout would have been nice but the little carp/chub looking things were a blast. We pulled over about 1/2 way through the float to grab an ice cream at the Dairy Joy on main street to add icing to this particular slice of cake. I highly recommend getting a wife that is as cool as mine.

After it cooled down I set back into the project. In order to get a nice transition between the transom and hull for the new glass I added a fillet in at the junction. The cab-o-sil thickened epoxy was spread with the curved side of a plastic spoon:

This week I hope to start laying the glass.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:39 PM
Big Kahuna

Hendrickson Mayfly.
Nice write up Kevin....way to multi task!
Old 04-28-2009, 05:57 AM

Transom

Go Fish,
great work on the transom. Just curious if the epoxy you use blushes when it dries? Might also want to try slow hardener when it begins to heat up.
Hope the baby is a flyfisher.
BBD