Forum Navigation

Search

Old 02-09-2014, 03:41 PM
Registered Peruser

Tying the Blind Chicken

Hi,

Does anyone know how to tie Capt Billy Trimble's Blind Chicken fly? There was an article on it in On The Water a couple of months ago but it didn't really give an adequate description of how to tie it. It is a bend back style fly popular down on the Gulf coast .

Thanks in advance for any help!

Chris
Old 02-17-2014, 07:36 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

The Blind Chicken

I may be wrong about this but I did get into a discussion awhile back about the Blind Chicken and it really was not about whether or not it was tied on a jiggy style hook but more about the colors. Tradition is important to tying flies when it comes to hook style however.

The discussion was about which colors would ride on top if tied clouser style pink or chartreuse. If the chartreuse rode on top with the pink on the bottom it was one thing and if the pink rode on top and the chartreuse on the bottom it was the other. That was the only difference between the Blind Chicken and the other fly.

The other was the Tutti Frutti, not sure it made much difference to the fish but it did to the guy I had the discussion with. As I said to him I never heard of the Blind Chicken until he posted but then I did know a lot about the Tutti Frutti fly and could google one but not the other..

Others may be able to shed more light but I believe that is only difference.

I said to him at one time, sometimes a clouser will ride upside down from what it was intended to do so did the fish eat a Tutti Fruuti or a Blind Chicken and that it is all relative but not that important.