Forum Navigation

Search

Old 03-12-2014, 09:53 PM
Cpt. Of "My Lil Dinghy"

Add on Livewell questions

My cousins livewell is one of the round type plastic ones that you can mount to the floor any where you want in the boat. We use it at the ocean to keep live mackeral and other bait in. We have to bail water in and out of it and have an alligator clip aerator we put in it but it does a bad job and clogs and foams up on us. We see other guys using barrels or other "tanks" with two hoses out of it. One in the water and the other discharging water. Does anyone know what they are using for pumps etc...? We would like to do the same thing but have no idea what they are using. We never run into any of them that do that at the boat ramp to ask.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-13-2014, 09:54 AM

Bait Well

I bought an after market livewell for my 18' Parker. It fits under the leaning post. I bought a pump with a bracket that fits on the transom just like a transducer. I then rigged a 12 volt outlet on the battery box and wired it to the livewell switch on the console. The hose just runs on the floor to the well. Then I put another hose from the the discharge to the scuppers and just let it run out. what I like about it is that the bracket lets you take the pump off at the end of the day. That way you can rinse it off. Plus if you are not using the livewell everything can just come right out. Check out West Marine they should have the pump.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Bet you could rig up something with a small bilge pump. I know Rule sells a Rule portable livewell aerator kit that recycles the water and has a foam filtration system.
If you wanted to run a continuous supply of water through the tank (usually a large cooler) I've seen a bilge pump mounter or suspended off the stern with an over flow draining out the scupper or over the gunnel depending on height of tank.