Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Regional Discussion Forums > New England

Old 04-07-2014, 08:18 AM

Montauk Sportfishing Report 4/7/14

I think it finally safe to pack away the old snow blower and start to dust off some of the fishing gear. There’s nothing going on fishing wise here in Montauk, but with some nice days showing up, we can at least start to dream. The winter was slow with very little activity with the codfish. In fact I don’t believe a Montauk boat has tried for them in over a month. Hopefully that will change soon. But if it doesn’t, the real fishing is at least in sight. With the sun finally starting to shine over the past week or so, I’ve been getting some phone calls from guys looking for charters. Most of them were for over 6 boats and they all wanted weekends. There are only a couple of those boats available here in Montauk and weekend dates go fast, so if you have one of those groups, start planning now.

The fluke and seabass regs aren’t cast in stone yet, but it looks like it is going to be 5 fluke at 18” from May 17 – Sept 21, which probably will work out here in Montauk. Last year the season started earlier and there were fish to be had, but after this tough winter they might be a little slower to come out of hibernation. Seabass looks like 8 fish at 13” from July 15 – Dec 31.

I took a little ride around the yards on Saturday and finally saw a couple of captains doing boat work. It’s a big change from the days when everybody aimed to be in the water around April 1.

The Cam & Chowder House at Salivars is looking good and ready to open soon and Gaviola’s opens on Monday

The Mid-Atlantic Fishery Management Council is holding it’s meeting at the Montauk Yacht Club, and one of the sessions on Wednesday will be a “public listening session on an offshore wind power project that may be in the works for east of Montauk. If you have nothing to do, it’s probably worth stopping by and listening.

I’ll start posting regular reports sometime in early May when things get active.

For more info about fishing in Montauk, check out www.montauksportfishing.com