Forum Navigation

Search

Old 06-24-2014, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Broken gas tank

The part of the fuel pick on the gas tank that the fuel line attaches to has corroded and broke off. The mechanic at the marine repair, could unscrew the part from the tank. Working through a six inch hole makes it tough to get any leverage. Without being able to remove that part, I looking at a new tank. Cutting up the deck, and replacing the tank is not a good option considering the age of my boat. Gutting out the console, rewire stuff and putting something in there appears to be a more attractive option. Temporarily I 'm running on a 6 gal portable. Makes me think twice about where I go after being used to having 30 gals. available. If I can remove the broken piece, then I can use the old tank. I will be experimenting.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:39 PM

good luck ...hope the fix doesn't cost to much. At least your getting out for some action. I was inside Billingsgate Saturday afternoon at low tide on my Kayak. lots of snapper blues fining on surface. Wish i'd taken my fly rod but the fight the put up on my 10 lb spinning rod was lots of fun.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:14 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

The BEST anti-sieze you could spray on it - IF any threads left exposed - is a 50-50 mix of acetone and any good Auto Transmission Fluid (ATF). The small amount you'll use will be fine even if it gets into the gas.

I would spray it well and then use a left-hand threaded EZ-Out, tapping it in with a ball peen hammer then lightly applying twisting torque with an open-end wrench whilst pushing in on the tool.

I have a HUGE assortment and can think of 2 that I have on hand that would work. You do so much for this site, PM me your mailing address and I'll ship them right out to you. If you can bring the boat to me ... I bet you I could get it out. I just won't use a "heat hammer" (torch) ... .

Oh, if there is a large SQUARE box or fitting on top of the tank that the threaded barbed fitting threads into ... that is the tank fitting boss. "Most" are removable! So you may not be SOL if the EZ-Out doesn't work. I have gotten them out by using 2 open end wrenches, 180-degrees apart, and applying a quick 'bump' of torque. Take a real good look firstly, and send me a picture of the busted fitting and/or boss as needed.

Good luck! ... and youse don't needs no mechanic, as I can help you ...