Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Regional Discussion Forums > Florida

Old 10-15-2015, 08:30 AM

Cape Coral - Jan, Feb, Mar - What to expect?

The Mrs and I are going to snowbird this winter to Cape Coral. Very exciting to say the least! I'll also be trailering my 16' Lund down with us as well, so wondering if anyone can let me know what the fishing is like that time of year.

I'd really love to tangle with Tarpon, but I'm happy to catch whatever is around. I tried to talk to as many people as possible over the summer when we went down to check out the condo we will be renting.....and seemed to get a different answer from everyone.

Tackle shops said, "not to expect much", but some fisherman I spoke to in restaurants said there are tarpon there year round. I got the sense that the tackle shops want nothing to do with small tarpon. I really don't care what size they are since I'll never catch them up here!!

So any info on species available, and more importantly, what tackle to bring would be great. I don't want to have to buy new lures/terminal gear that I already have (piles of ) up here.

Any help and insight is greatly appreciated! And I'd be happy to bring out any fellow reel-timers in my boat in exchange for showing me around a bit. Nothing beats local knowledge in decreasing the learning curve.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 10-15-2015, 11:55 AM

Fishing can be tough with winter winds and water temps, fish tend to hide or suspend when things cools off. 70 degree water is a bench mark for me.
Year rounders as opposed to snow birds have different viewpoints as to fishing prospects. Things just slow down in winter a lot but compared to drilling a hole in the ice, drinking heavily and waiting for fish a different world.
Tarpon can and are around all year. just hard to find Spanish macs are a hoot,Look up Sea Trout.ladyfish , redfish We hit 11 species in one trip last winter.
In your ride expect to become familiar with Matlacha ramp and Pine Island Sound
The river tends to remind me why I am not a guide if I had to fish for a living, Some do okay.
Day trips to Okeechobee can be fun if like bass fishing.
Find a person or two and split a couple charters. I was upfront with mine and told him what I was after. You may lose some honey holes but pick up a lot of knowledge. Now I am in his info network while in town. If on some good fishing I give him a buzz and if he has clients on board he is the hero on a slow day.
Be down there on and off starting in about 2 weeks, Plow up here most of the winter and run down in clear weather spots.
See ya at Berts. Pm me or email for contact info Marty