Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Fly Fishing Topics > Fly Tying Forum

Old 02-02-2016, 05:32 PM

something to pass the winter away

I've got a number of used flies that I've taken out of rotation because they don't perform correctly. Issues like fouling, too much flash, too long etc.; and upon further review I'm going to take the scissors, vice and thread to them and see if I can salvage any of them before they go to recycling......... Something to pass the winter away.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:25 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Salvaging Fllies

I have a ritual I use during the season, I never break out a new fly of the same pattern until it has been used and abused by me and the fish. When it gets to that point it gets trashed and a new one comes out of the master box.

When it comes to flies fouling, I always carry a pair of the Rapala scissors made for cutting braid fishing lines to trim my flies as I use them. That usually solved the problem. I have found it is always that one piece of material or feather that always fouls. These scissors are great, don't rust and are only around $5 so if they get lost it is not a big deal.

Flies can never have to much flash., I love it.

I always wash my flies after each outing and then at the end of the season as painful as it is there are very few flies that don't make their way in the waste basket. I like to start the season out with a clean slate if flies. I tend to try and salvage flies during the season and that is usually limited to repainting eyes and a new coat of head cement if the rest of the fly is still intact.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:21 PM
Administrator

While I may trim up a fly to better match the bait, I generally use a fly until there is no longer any hope for it to even catch a blue fish.