Forum Navigation

Search

Old 10-07-2016, 08:49 AM

Insane Albie Fishing

My good friend and I went out yesterday with eastern Long Island New York fly fishing pioneer and the creator of the Crease Fly Captain Joe Blados, Maverick Fly Charters. Within 20 minutes of launching we were into a school of albies. Joe put us into 1 school after another all day long. We caught so many albies we lost count. To my surprise not many bluefish around as I only caught 1 bluefish, 1 striper, 1 sea bass and by accident 1 bird all released safely. I took some GoPro video of the catches and some of the mishaps of which I will post at a later date. Joe said he still has some open dates available so give him a call he's an excellent guide. Here's a cellphone pic of 1 of the many albies I caught. Again will post better quality pics and video as it will take me days to recuperating from the incredible amounts of albies we caught.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	imagejpeg_0.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	20615  
Old 10-07-2016, 08:00 PM

Adding 2 more pics of yesterdays insanity.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	albieB.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	647.5 KB
ID:	20617   Click image for larger version

Name:	albieAsmudge.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	212.8 KB
ID:	20618  

Last edited by KayakerStan; 10-07-2016 at 08:14 PM..
Old 10-10-2016, 05:06 PM

I haven't seen Joe in years - good to hear he's still out there on the the water. Kayaking conditions loook good over there for Wed. Going to have to reacquaint myself with some of the most beautiful spots I've fished. Especially beautiful when you're hooked to an albie! Thanks for the report.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:10 PM

Totally agree with you.

Put some of the GoPro video together from the albie trip should get your blood flowing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_0H4XpwgEU
Old 10-11-2016, 07:51 PM

Yeah, that'll do it. Love the doubleheader. Hopeful I can get some GoPro video of my own tomorrow. Have a unipod mount that fits neatly into my rod holder behind the cockpit. 2 years ago I had a great outing off of North Bar in Montauk but the camera was mounted on the deck of the kayak.

https://youtu.be/Q9PlYfPK9wg
Old 10-12-2016, 12:20 AM

We had a couple double headers and a lot of missed hook ups. Make sure you bring some 12lb test with you as the day went on they got line shy and 12lb was the ticket for more hook ups.
I think you will be in for a treat! Do you use a small flag pole on your kayak so boats can see you? I would mount the GoPro to that you would get a great view.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:46 PM

Epic morning! Anchovies were pinned to the beach for almost 3 hours. Never even pulled the kayak off the Jeep. From the rock I stood on for nearly two and a half hours I saw thousands of bass that ranged from 25"-32" - I can't ever recall seeing this many bass of that size. Albies were also plentiful - hooked 7 in three hours; landed 4. Hands down, the best day of fishing in my life and I've been fishing for almost 30 years.

Video to follow...
Old 10-12-2016, 07:48 PM

Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/Fh7nY5Snsv8
Old 10-12-2016, 10:03 PM

It's like an aquarium out there glad you had a good time. Thanks for sharing the video!
Old 10-13-2016, 08:19 PM

Glad you liked it - I'm glad I took the time to get the footage - it wasn't easy to stop fishing. And I think I said that it was like an aquarium a couple of times to the pair of photographers that were there, ha!

I couple things I saw yesterday that were interesting. At one point as the bass were meandering by slowly (not in feeding mode) I saw an albie tucked right in with them. I'm used to seeing them rip in towards shore and back out just as quickly, which is what they did all morning in groups 5-20. But this one albie was pretending to blend in with a school of bass.

My first albie of the day took the fly pretty deep. When I released him, he went right to the bottom laying on his side in plain sight from my rock. I knew I had him out of the water too long - not a great feeling. I tried nudging him with my rod tip. Nothing. Worse feeling. So I strip off line, getting ready to fish again with a pit in my stomach and I see an albie swimming out from shore. I look down to where this albie was and he was gone. I didn't think that this was possible given the amount of oxygen they require. But off he went.

Last edited by Albiecrazy; 10-13-2016 at 09:14 PM..
Old 10-13-2016, 10:09 PM

Funny you mentioning about watching an albie moving slowly with some stripers. 2 weeks ago I was flyrodding the surf on the south shore and a couple times I watched as green bonito come up onto the sandy bottom flat slowly then quickly shot through a school of bay anchovies. They did it a couple times as I had a couple shots sight casting to them but they completely ignored the fly. In all the years I have fished that was the first time I ever watched green bonito moving that slowly and not just slashing through the water like rockets. Now you see an albie doing something similar it's been a very strange year.