Forum Navigation

Search

Old 06-26-2017, 06:29 AM

Montauk Sportfishing Report 6/25/17

The Marine Basin held their shark tournament over the weekend in less than ideal conditions, and the only qualifying fish were makos; no threshers and no blue sharks. That makes the owner of the boat that I run happy because when we go sharking this week we probably won’t have to deal with any big blue dogs. The results are as follows;
1st place mako – JOYSEA - 384 lbs
2nd place mako – SEA DREAMER II - 348 lbs
3rd place mako – TAIL WALKER - 243 lbs

The fluke fishing has stabilized to normal summer fluking. You still have to put in the work, but you will probably be rewarded with some meals eventually. Everyone fishing for them has been just south of the Point and to the east; very few boats fishing off the south side or out in the deeper water, but that will probably change this week when the seabass season opens up.

Striped bass fishing has been good and there have been a lot of sandeels around, so the diamond jigs and umbrellas are working especially well. It seems that whatever tide is running at sunrise and sunset are the best ones and the earlier and later you fish the better. Sunday was a little slow, but that was probably just a temporary aberration.

There’s a lot of talk about the new blackfish regs that are being proposed. The long and the short of it is, NY, NJ and CT are "overfishing" according to the ASMFC, and they want to create 2 regions, which would split NY, one for the LI Sound (LI North Shore and CT) and another for the rest of the Marine district for NY and NJ. The LIS Region is looking at a 47% cut, so a potential 1 fish bag limit. The NY Bite is only a 2% reduction, which is only a couple days off the season. No one supported creating two regions for NY. That would be a death blow to the rec fishing industry (for hire boats and tackle shops) on the North Shore, who would lose the last two months of their fishing season in doing so.

For more info about fishing in Montauk check out www.montauksportfishing.com
Old 09-26-2017, 10:54 PM

congratulations CaptGeneKelly for this great report. I wasn't aware about this "shark tournament" at The Marine Basin otherwise I could also participate with my team but nevertheless.

I will wait for next time to participate in upcoming tournament