Forum Navigation

Search

Old 10-13-2017, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Fin and Feather

Have not done this in years Today was the opening of the coastal duck season. This is a chance to hunt ducks and fish for stripers at the same time. Generally the fishing is better then the hunting this early. Did not see a single duck, but saw multiple schools of breaking fish. Chased over to the flocks of birds, buy at 6mph, the blitzes were done by the time I got to them. still each time I found plenty of schoolies hanging around for some excellent light tackle fishing. The little boat I used was a bit cramped so I did not bring the fly rod,

Old 10-13-2017, 09:23 PM

Bob, you are reminding me:
1971'
Internship at Providence Hospital. VERY little time off. Every third night was an all-nighter at the hospital.

Living on Pt Judith Pond with a jon boat. Desperate for a little outdoor fun before the season closed in. Really wanted to hunt black ducks since I had never shot one.....being from the NW.

I bought a dz decoys and went out into the marsh and set the decoys out....and waited...and waited.

Suddenly there was a swirl among the decoys, and then another, and another. I realized a school of bass had moved in and were slamming the minnows (or whatever) that seemed to have set up among the decoy anchor lines.

What to do? What to do? Then I realized I had my rigged 10 wt rod with a popper on in the rod rack. Set the gun down and picked up the rod. One cast and slam....I was on.

The point of this....a good striper hooked among a decoy set will collect just about every decoy out there on the line before it is all over. I brought in an almost keeper 9for those days) and a dozen decoys.....and proud as punch about the whole thing.

Never did get a black.

http://www.flyfishingfotography.com

http://flyfishingfotography.smugmug.com/

Here's looking at you...kid

Old 10-14-2017, 09:40 PM
Administrator

Took the big boat out there focusing on fishing. First thing up into the marsh where the action was yesterday, nada. Not even birds sitting on the edge of the marsh waiting. Went out into the bay and check about 8 miles of shoreline without seeing anything going on. Did stop at the out flow of a creek and worked the structure for a bunch of schoolies on a pb fly.