Forum Navigation

Search

Old 08-18-2000, 01:55 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

8/17 - Night Feed at Sandy Hook

I wasn't there, but someone I work with was at Sandy Hook last night around 8 PM and from what he said there was a nice shore feed going on.

He asked me this morning if it is unusual for bait fish to beach themselves. I asked if the bait fish were alive. He said some were. I asked if he saw bait fish jump from the water to the shore. He said yes. I asked if he saw or heard any large splashes. He said yes, and that right after he would see the bait jumping on the shore.

I tried to get him to describe the predators, but got little, so I don't know if it was bass, blues or what.

He said it lasted about an hour but there was a lot of bait on the beach when he got there, so he guessed it had been going on for a while before 8 PM.

He said it was at the "first beach" (I don't know what this means having never been to Sandy Hook).

He also said he had a fishing rod in his car (just bought it this year to involve his kids in outdoor activities), but didn't realize what he was seeing was a feed.

I told him NEXT TIME CAST!!!!!!!

Oh well, wish I had been there, but it was fun to hear of a good old push the bait against the shore feed going on.
Old 08-20-2000, 08:42 AM

RE: 8/17 - Night Feed at Sandy Hook

Hi Tuna, Did your friend identify the beach. I presume if he was there at night without his fishin rod he wasn't out around the Hook or bug light but likely out front. Could you confirm?

Let's have some posts from the real fishermen on the beach! This board is dyin'.
Old 08-21-2000, 10:22 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

My friend says there's only one way to approach by road, and it was the first beach on the right, on the ocean side.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-21-2000, 11:31 AM

He probably was at the jetty area by the toll plaza or first
bathhouse lot. It don't matter, they should be all over the place. Can't get out until this friday night...grrrr......
Charles, so you did not move huh?
See ya when its dark!!!
greg
Old 08-22-2000, 02:30 PM

I was on the second beach on Sat morning at about 3:30AM. No bass, released a keeper fluke on a black clouser. At dawn, about 100 yrds out, I swear I saw Albies leaping for bait. Too big to be Bones, and too “jumpy” to be Blues. It only lasted about 3 min. Beyond that, I couldn’t even hook up with a Blue that morning. All the feeding was over 100yrds out.
Old 08-23-2000, 07:28 AM

Greg, Catch the string of posts in Stripersurf starting with DrBill about what;s happening at the tip of sandy hook. Issue is access denied. Then check out Virtual Flyshop Norhtheast discussion area string on sandy Hook.. talking about boat rental and working the inside shore on the Hook. Wnat to give it a try sometimes>?

I'm writing this from Fairfax / I'm doing a commute from Summit to Fairfax once a week.. spending the weekends at home. Heck of a lot of driving... makes fishing harder to work into the schedule.

Took a day off Monday to do something special with my 7 yr old son... jumped on the Teal at Highlands for an afternoon fluke fishing. Didn't do so good but weren't skunked. The mates on the Teal were very nice. Nice boat too. Not fo flyfishers however unless you want to rollcast with a teeny.

Maybe I'll take a few days in the fall and get a beach pass for IBSP and run the Trooper out on the sand.

Let's hope we see some more Sandy Hook activity on this Board. not sure what to do.... there seems to be too much competition from other sites... many non Flyguys posting on Striprsurf.... but you have to wade thru a lot of junk.
Old 08-23-2000, 11:12 AM

Hi Charles,
That stinks about access. But at 1AM it might not be a problem.........
Boat rental sound interesting, but daytime hours are limited to me so we'll see.....
I'm heading out Friday night, if the tip is still closed (do they care if I walk the waterline in front of the ropes???) it will give me an excuse to work/explore the beach front.
take care,
greg
Old 08-23-2000, 02:19 PM

Gregk, I asked them once at the ranger station about walking below the waterline. I got answers from "I don't know" to "absolutly not, It's a federal offense". I suggest you wait until after Labor Day. Restrictions will be dropped and that's when things get much better anyway.
Old 08-24-2000, 07:14 AM
Sponsor

Hi guys...been awhile I know...save the abuse.
I was there, and they were small bluefish in the 1 lb range.The wind was cranking out of the SE and pushing the bait onto shore.At one point the sound of all the fish eating was enough to just sit back and watch in amazement.
Capt. Paul
Reeltherapy.com
Old 08-24-2000, 07:18 AM
Sponsor

Hi Guys...been awhile I know save the abuse
I was there at the hook and saw the frenzy. It was 1 lb bluefish with nothing under them.
Either way it was way cool to see nature at work.
The wind was blowing 20 out of the SE and pushing all the bait, small spearing up on shore
Capt Paul
reeltherapy.com